Poll

History, maybe value of a painting?

History
0 (0%)
Value
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: History, maybe value of a painting?  (Read 6872 times)

30clay30

Re: History, maybe value of a painting?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 02:18:36 pm »
I agree with both of you.  WMH had a signature that always seems to start with W. M. Hunt.  I will try to get a close up of signature

30clay30

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »
Here you go.

It is deffently M Hunt.

What do yall think?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »
Looks like M. Hunt to me!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 03:17:17 pm »
As I am looking at the sig, there appears to be  shadows on the right !! Might be part of the scene but can`t tell for sure !!  Can just see the faintest images !! Can you take that side ??

30clay30

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »
It does appear that way.  It is darker right there, but when looked at with a magnifying glass it is apart of the back ground.  The way I took it made it seem like part of the signature.  If you look right above the first arch on the "M," there is a dark brown line or paint stroke.  Those two marks are the same as that one.  Sorry for the bad picture.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »
I am still not sure about the name !!  There is something we are not seeing or is missing about that name !!  Or,, its just a hobby painter that was pretty good !!  Why don`t you send some good pics to Christies appraisal service !! Its free and  they might know who it is !! Just be sure and take a good, clear pic of that name and widen that image to take in more of the sides !! I don`t think those marks on the side are part of the scene !! It looks different than whats behind it !! In other words it was added later as most signatures are !!

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 06:29:25 pm »
I am from the Hudson valley and have seen quite a few of the Hudson river school artists come through, could you please take a close up photo from where the canvas is attached to the stretcher?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »
That was my first thought !!  But couldn`t find the name anywhere in association with that group !! Even checked the ladies of Hudson River school !!  But found nothing !! Went through the artists of 1800`s and 1900`s !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 06:48:16 pm »
I enlarged the pic on the first page that shows the back !! It appears to be hand stretched and trimmed but attached with staples, so mid century is my thought !!

30clay30

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 07:03:28 pm »
I will try Christie's.

As far as the hand stretched staple comment.  Hand stretched I agree but not staples.  They are nails that are bent over at the end. 

And the signature comment.  If you look with a magnifying glass you can see the texture of paint brushes going through the signature.  Nothing underneath.

Thank you so much for helping me I think it has come to getting an appraisal from Christie's and my local Pease-Cobb.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »
Is that what that is,, nails not tacks ??  Looked like staples with them bent !!  So headless finish nails ??
Can you take a pic of that edge,, it might help !!
 I think you misunderstood what I was talking about on the signature !!
Let us know what they say please !!  You are in Ft Worth,, There are several good museums in the DFW area !!  Might also get help there !!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:16:04 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 07:27:34 pm »
Mart, several good museums that are helpful when it appears to be a prized item that is.

I kept looking at that area after the signature from the start and was wondering if there was a date smeared in there somewhere!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »
I think there is something there !!  Just can`t tell what !!  Gosh this is hard to do just looking at pics !!  Isn`t it KC ??

30clay30

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »
Wish I could just pass it around.  The mystery is killing me!  I don't care if it is nothing just want to know.  Ok maybe I do want it to be something. ;)

30clay30

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »
Here are some more pictures that were asked for.  Ya'll are making me want to take the protriat out so I can look at it more.
I emailed Christies to see.