Author Topic: Help to identify my corner cabinet please.  (Read 8855 times)

RugRat5288

• View Profile
Help to identify my corner cabinet please.
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:38:09 pm »
HI ALL ;D

My grandmother bought this cabinet in the 1930's in up state Vermont just below the Canadian border from a lady down the street for $7. My grandfather who passed away before i was born bought it as a surprise gift for her as he knew she loved it. At the time $7 was alot of money for a family with 6 childern. After she passed away my mother got the cabinet and she now lives with me and I have tried to find a similar cabinet online without much luck. I would just like to know how old it is and if it has any value? Thanks for any help you can give me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:43:13 pm by RugRat5288 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help to identify my corner cabinet please.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »
Very nice corner cabinet !! Golden oak could have been made anytime from about 1880 to 1930 !! Almost impossible to tell without being the original purchaser !! I am guessing that yours was made around 1920 just from the general style give or take a few years !! Not a lot of the oak corner cabinets that I have seen so hang on to that one !! Approx value about  $450. to $550. in my area !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »
Mart hit that one pretty well. I'd say it's about 1910, definitely oak, in a style you don't see often. I'd say around $600.00 in Missouri.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »
Well I did say, give or take a few years !!  If in perfect condition would go $600. here !!  A few scratches that need to be covered up !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »
Beautiful piece!!! nothing a little walnut rubbing  & lemon oil couldn't handle :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »
Walnuts might be a little dark,, you think Wendy ??

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »
Thanks everyone. pretty good value now for a $7 purchase. I was thinking it might be worth more. It does have condition issues that are not noticeable in the pictures. one of the risers that stick up above the cabinet on top (opposite one from picture) on the upper most spot near the center is cracked . I'm not sure how that happened as it has been that way as long as i can remember. Unfortunate!. Also the handle is loose with just a small brad in the top to hold it from swinging upside down. I'm not sure if the top piece could be repaired or if i should just let it be? Not planning on getting rid of it as it has been with our family 70+ years.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:00:07 pm by RugRat5288 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »
Most things like that are simple repairs but would require some knowledge of woodwork and tools !!  If its OK to use I would just leave it alone for now !!  Might fix the handle though !! Hardware is important to the value !!

cogar

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Did you read about it, Cogar ??  "Completely stripped, sanded, stained and finished with multiple coats of lacquer" !! So in essence its a new one, not an antique anymore !! And is about what the cost of a new one would be !!

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »
I had also seen many double door cabinets but never one with a big piece of glass like mine. Sure would hate to break that glass. Kids are not allowed near it  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:25:13 pm »
Would cost a fortune to replace it,, if you even could, so be careful !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:24 pm »
Did you read about it, Cogar ??

Nah, ..... I didn't.

I just thought you all were pricing RugRat's cabinet too low.

And that's why I posted the url.

And by the way, Mart, .... that Ruby Lane piece that is "Completely stripped, sanded, stained and finished with multiple coats of lacquer" .... is still a piece of "antique furniture" to the younger generation ...... and they will gladly pay Ruby Lane that $1,800+ for that cabinet ..... long before they would ever pay RugRat either $500 or $1,200 for his cabinet.

Most Refinishers would gladly pay $500 for RugRat's cabinet ....... and more than double their money after making it "shine" with a couple coats of lacquer or semi-gloss polycrylic.

You can't set a "retail" or "end-user" price based on Auction or small Antique Shop "prices" because that is where "big" Dealers, Pickers and Refinishers go to purchase their "stock items" which they are going to sell and .... make a profit on.  

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
Darn, Cogar !! Are we having a bad day ???  I think I`ve just been reamed out by the headmaster !!
Once all that is done there is nothing left !! You could stand it side by side with a new one and couldn`t tell the difference !! So whats the point of buying an antique ?? And the price I gave is about what it would bring in todays market in my area !! Yours might be different !!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:42:41 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 04:10:03 pm »
i,m of the opinion that whoever does eventually pay Ruby Lane, $2.650,for what is in effect...a refurb,will only be doing so....because in their mind...its a Ruby Lane piece.they won,t see it as a refurb,...and when the time comes when someone ask,s them about it,....It,ll be .."OH! We got it from Ruby Lane"!!!!....and not,.."Its been rubbed and Scrubbed and Laquered to death",.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,