Author Topic: Help to identify my corner cabinet please.  (Read 8856 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Help to identify my corner cabinet please.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 05:14:43 am »
Reply #13:  Darn, Cogar !! Are we having a bad day ??? 

Yes”, Mart, I believe you were.

Why else would you have asked me this question, to wit:

Reply #9: Did you read about it, Cogar ??

A patronizing remark that was uncalled for.

Mart, I didn’t have to read about it. I could plainly see that it had been refinished.

Reply #9:  So in essence its a new one, not an antique anymore !!

You didn’t think it was an antique to begin with, to wit:

Reply #1:  I am guessing that yours was made around 1920 just from the general style give or take a few years !!

Mart, appraise the furniture. Don’t be appraising my integrity or my learned experiences. If you disagree with my opinion then state your reason for doing so. But don’t make it personal, cause I don’t take it kindly to such pettiness.

Reply #13: Once all that is done there is nothing left !! You could stand it side by side with a new one and couldn`t tell the difference !!

Maybe you couldn’t, but I could, unless done by a real expert. Some woods, especially oak and pine, acquire a patina after several years of being subjected to “light”. It is a per say, photochemical reaction that occurs in the exposed surface layer of the wood itself. And if that “layer” is sanded “off”, it is a real “bear” to try to reproduce. Unfinished wood (inside cabinets and back panels) react to the different gas molecules in the air itself.

So whats the point of buying an antique ??

“Different strokes for different folks”.  ;D ;D

Mart, I once sold a Shawnee “corn” sugar bowl for, I think, $14.75, that the bowl and lid both had been broken, and glued back together, with the glue-lines standing out like a sore thumb.

A young, late 20’ish gal, came into my shop, spotted that Shawnee, picked it up and said “I’ll take this” ...... and handed me the money.

I looked at her quizzically and said “You do realize that is broken, don’t you”.

To which she replied, “Absolutely, ….. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, ..... it looks identical to the one my mother had that was promised to me but my sister took it and won’t give it back to me”.     

Cheers, ….. and end of discussion on this subject.

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 07:17:11 am »
c 1890s value around £3-400
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:13 am »
I have no idea how you thought I was questioning your integrity !!  This is a place for opinions from everyone and actually I was having a rather good day !!
 I asked the question because you gave no response to anything other than to post that link !! Perhaps you should have elaborated a bit more !! And if I don`t know I ask !! I have been guilty of posting something without thoroughly reading it but do not get my drawers in an uproar because someone asks and points it out !!
I apologize if you thought that, it was not my intent !!  And I said earlier that it could have been made any where between 1880 and 1930 and without having any more that a pic of the front to look at,, and since I don`t have X-ray vision,, that was my opinion !! I would not begin to appraise anything here !! That is not very professional,, I can give an opinion and thats it !! And that opinion is limited to what I know similar items sell for in my area !!
I used to enjoy your input and the discussion back and forth !! But I will rethink what I put into the forum if that will make you happy !!

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:45:07 am »
Everyone's opinions have been great! no reason to argue!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:18 am »
Well, cool cabinet in any case.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
Not an arguement,,, I just apologized for what ever it was that upset Cogar !!  Although I am still unsure what it was !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:59 pm »
We have a saying over here....perhaps he got out of the wrong side of bed that day...as for me, Mart,I enjoy your posts and am learning from your extensive knowledge,...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »
AAWWWW Bigwull a saying that does not involve a cat ohhh darn!  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 07:17:18 pm »
Well I am still unsure what I did !!
 LOL  !!Watch out Wendy,, he will think of one !!  The more I read his posts, the more I think he is a displaced Texan !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »
My opinion as a person who has sold truckloads of golden oak. In my area of NYC / NJ metro market, oak has held the same prices for 30 years barely keeping pace with inflation. That piece is 1900 probably Grand Rapids right from the Sears Catalog and would sell here around 1200.00 retail because its unusual. Original finish rules. Most young people here are not interested in old fashioned furniture unless Martha Stewart or Eddie Ross say its good. I would pay about half of that if I really wanted it and had a corner for it. I would just clean it up a little.

I am appalled by by the squabbling I just returned to after a few days away. If I was the moderator I would have deleted all that. It does not make a good impression to the new visitors. Opinions will vary. 

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 10:55:33 am »
Well the thing that gets me is if this is a piece from the sears catalog seems like there would be more of them. I have known of this cabinet all my life and never seen one like it. if you can find me a picture of a single door corner cabinet with rounded glass like mine I would love to see it. That is what brought me to this website as I had searched the Internet with no results. I don't disagree with you I just can't understand why this one seems hard to find a similar type?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:11:52 am by RugRat5288 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:47 am »
I've never seen another one like it, either.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 11:14:14 am »
Just because your one has survived,does,nt mean that others have....it may be a one off...or a commission,...or a limited run and all the rest have either been butchered or morphed into something else..or perhaps during the great depression..they were broken up and use as firewood..you just never know

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »
I am betting with that large curved glass door with no center support not many have survived.
 if you can find me a picture of a single door corner cabinet with rounded glass like mine I would love to see it. That is what brought me to this website as I had searched the Internet with no results. [/quote]

Here ya go second row first photo  
http://www.gendronantiques.com/Antiques/tabid/743/Tag/Cabinet/Tags/2141/Default.aspx

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
I am betting with that large curved glass door with no center support not many have survived.
 if you can find me a picture of a single door corner cabinet with rounded glass like mine I would love to see it. That is what brought me to this website as I had searched the Internet with no results.

Here ya go second row first photo  
http://www.gendronantiques.com/Antiques/tabid/743/Tag/Cabinet/Tags/2141/Default.aspx
[/quote]Give that woman a coconut!!!!