Author Topic: Vintage Mid-Century Abstract Oil Painting?  (Read 2026 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Mid-Century Abstract Oil Painting?
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:27 am »
I purchased this oil painting a few months ago because I liked the theme and style. It looks like an abstract of boats in a swamp or possibly some type of tidal water area, maybe in the south but it could be anywhere.

The painting is about 24 inches wide and 20 inches in height. There is the name "Grumbacher New York" embedded into the canvas frame on the back. I know they are an art supplier among other things out of New York and have been around for awhile.

The painting is signed by the artist "Whalen" who I've searched high and low for but am unable to locate.

Does anyone know anything about this artist or who he/she is and maybe when this painting was made? I'm guessing it was made in the 1950's or 1960's?

Thanks for any help!
Kevin

" width="716" height="1591" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Mid-Century Abstract Oil Painting?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:14:56 am »
And the back ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:29 am »
Here,s a link to who it could well be...the signature on most of his works is very similar as is his use of colours
http://www.artgally.com/rickwhalen/Galleryvi.htm
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:35 am »
mart, the back is in the image, try scrolling down a little further, it's on the bottom of the image. :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:35 am »
as my link shows, Rick Whalen lives in Tampa,...which is in line with your thoughts on your other post

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
Thanks bigwull, the style is similar although the signature is printed and not signed in cursive, hard to place a match to the artist signature.

Although, artist do change on how they sign art over the years and it could be possible it is a very early work of his but I'm not certain about it. The tampa location would be south.

I would have to find/see an earlier work by this artist, perhaps 40 years or so earlier maybe and see how he signed art work back then to be convinced.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:55:56 am »
Hi Kevin, as my link shows an email ad for this artist,why not send him an email with a pic of your painting, and ask him, yes or no,....and as the meerkats over here say....simples!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
bigwull, I'm thinking about doing that, I'm going to look some more though before bothering the man, he probably get those kind of requests a lot.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:37:45 am »
Believe me,, artist can go through several variations of signatures !! But since Rick Whalen does use his last name, and the abstract expressionist style is so similar,  I would just go  ahead and email him !! He is not so big that he would mind I don`t think,, most of his were only selling for about $300. !! Artists enjoy hearing from someone that likes their work !! Or at least all that I know of do !!