Author Topic: Small painted platter  (Read 1853 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Small painted platter
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »
Ok not sure what this might be but when I did some searching on  ebay etc. it looks very similar to some of the tole painted platters I viewed.  It is 9 1/2" diameter and on the back it has "Firenze Italy" and an "M" and an emblem of some sort.

At first I thought this was a plastic painted plate but think it might just be a very light wood.  In any case I really like it.  It does have a few little dings in the surface unfortunately.

I was unsure of how to clean it either.

Could anyone tell me whether or not this might be a tole painted plate or what else I might have if anything?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Small painted platter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »
Not sure but I think that is a decal on papier mache` !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »
The center is definitely a decal - you can see the edges which is why I didn't think this was anything.  Cheap repro maybe?  I don't know what it is and don't want to scratch the surface - very light weight.  Either way I think it's neat - just trying to figure it out  - thanks Mart!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »
You can almost bet papier mache` !! Italy was well known for their items like that !! To clean, just damp cloth, don`t soak !! They are really pretty as wall hangings or just to use as a tray !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
Betting it is Paper Mache.  Very popular from the 60's.  The decoration is called Tole painting.

Firenze is Florence.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:10:36 am »
It certainly matches the style of some of the other tole painted plates or platters I have seen but I am still hung up on the material.  Yes very light weight - consensus is paper mache - but I am not sure how to tell.  I know if you tap on it there is almost a hollow sound.  Would paper mache be so smooth?

I want to list this but don't want to indicate something I am not sure of.  Unless I list it without stating what it is painted on  LOL  Apparently tole painting was done on a number of inexpensive surfaces. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:47:25 am »
The light weight almost assures that is what it is !!  Yes, from a distance, can look like whatever it imitates !! wood, tin, ect !! That was the point !!  Some of the older papier mache` is quite expensive !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:24:19 am »
Thanks once again Mart!!! ;D  Thanks to you too KC!!

Well my friend was putting it in her yard sale for $1 and the ones I have seen on ebay are most certainly selling for a "few" dollars more than that  LOL

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:36 pm »
They even have paper mache' furniture.  I have paper mache' tv trays from the 50's that we still use.  They are sturdy, lightweight, etc.  With all the recycling going on shame they don't make these anymore!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!