Author Topic: Russian Baby Bowl  (Read 4892 times)

RugRat5288

• View Profile
Russian Baby Bowl
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
I know this one doesn't have much value however I think it is old. another thing my Grandmother had. Markings say Czecho-Slovakia.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Baby Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:44:30 pm »
Czechoslovakia existed from 1918 to 1992,prior to 1918 in was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire,..therefore,i would think it is likely that this bowl was made from between 1918-1992
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ACStanley

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
Czechoslovakia existed from 1918 to 1992,prior to 1918 in was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire,..therefore,i would think it is likely that this bowl was made from between 1918-1992

Hahaha

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:31 am »
The penny has just dropped!...you thought it was Russian because of the Troika?....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:33 am »
I think they thought it was Russian because of the entire scene and the Ushanka, aka shapka (the hat).
Most people when they see this style of hat think of Russia - - I know that I used to before traveling in that part of the world.  It is used in all parts because it is really warm and retains heat!

They were also referring that Czechoslovakia is known as the Czech Republic and Slovakia since 1993.

Now....on to the piece....
The picture is rather hard for me to see even when blown up...on the mark on back...is there a hyphen?  Are the pictures painted or are they a decal?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
No mention of Czech Republic,...until you mentioned it,....and partition was in 92

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
bigwull, having been on this forum for many years...I have come to know that many people stop short of typing out everything.  They know in their minds what they want to say and don't realize that someone reading without the same background/state of mind will not understand.  This happens all the time in the world, texting, etc.  So the end of Czechoslovakia (by name) in 1992 was correct in dating a piece made there - because country marks change.

As for 1993...I made an error...a slip of the finger and meant 1992.  My bad.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:14 am »
LOl, maybe its just as well I can,t text.....or else i,d be up to my neck in the brown stuff....

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:21 am »
I think they thought it was Russian because of the entire scene and the Ushanka, aka shapka (the hat).
Most people when they see this style of hat think of Russia - - I know that I used to before traveling in that part of the world.  It is used in all parts because it is really warm and retains heat!

They were also referring that Czechoslovakia is known as the Czech Republic and Slovakia since 1993.

Now....on to the piece....
The picture is rather hard for me to see even when blown up...on the mark on back...is there a hyphen?  Are the pictures painted or are they a decal?

It is written
Czecho-
Solvakia
just like that

It really appears to be painted and i know for sure it has been in my family for a while. my mother ate out of it as a child and she just turned 78 Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:39:34 am by RugRat5288 »

RugRat5288

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:09 am »
By the way I failed geography in high school :o
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:15:08 am by RugRat5288 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:43:50 am »
LOL RugRat!  It wasn't my top class!

Have a questions, did you have a hand malfunction and type the country name wrong?  Is it Solvakia or Slovakia?  Because if it is as you stated....that is wrong for the country....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »
LOL RugRat!  It wasn't my top class!

Have a questions, did you have a hand malfunction and type the country name wrong?  Is it Solvakia or Slovakia?  Because if it is as you stated....that is wrong for the country....
Of course he, had a hand malfunction...just like 93 92 ...it happens to us all now and again....especially me as i,m a pally-duker.....

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:45:08 pm »
pally-duker  "I don't even know what that means!"  (she said in a loud but jovial voice while waving her hands in the air)  ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »
pally-duker  "I don't even know what that means!"  (she said in a loud but jovial voice while waving her hands in the air)  ???
I,m a left hander....for almost everything i do,..except when i go for a number 2.....it has a poetic ring to it....LOL!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »
It reminds me of a Beatrix Potter bowl my mom bought in the 1950s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford