Author Topic: Some advice on this magnifying glass please.  (Read 3131 times)

The Tinkerer

• View Profile
Some advice on this magnifying glass please.
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Hello folks,

I did my usual round of the local charity shops today and picked up this little magnifying glass that I thought was really nice. It was labelled in the charity shop as an 'Edwardian Map/Chart Magnifying Glass'. It seems to be in good condition. It has a thread so that you can adjust the distance of the lens to the surface beneath. Both of the lenses are scratch free and it works really well (tested it out on a few pieces of jewellery this morning looking at hallmarks). The thing I really liked was that it came in its original box. Whoever owned it way back when had written their details on the inside.

I am wondering if anyone can verify if it is Edwardian, I am always suspicious when items are labelled Edwardian based on the fact that it was such a brief period of time. Also, are there any obvious tell tell signs that would help place an item as Edwardian like certain shapes, details etc?

Finally can anyone give me a rough estimate of its value?

As always thanks in advance for any feedback.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:31:36 am by The Tinkerer »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice on this magnifying glass please.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:06:08 am »
I,m of the opinion,that it may be for map reading....as the 3 legs have balls on the end,..so as not to catch or tear and they indicate that this would be the correct distance needed from whatever was being read,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:41 am »
Agree with Bigwull on this one...it is often associated with maritime aka nautical maps....but it is for maps.  And as was noted, the smooth feet are to prevent tearing of the maps.

It will be hard to determine due to lack of a makers mark.  However, due to holder I would definitely peg it early to mid 1900's.

Need to research the name some.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:08:21 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:58 am »
Ok have no clue as to what I am talking about but Cogar, Fancypants, KC, did they thread metal what looks to be so precisely during the Edwardian period??? Would this have to have been made by a jeweler of that time??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:30 am »
Here's one for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Brass-Nautical-Tripod-Magnifier-Glass-W-leather-Case-Replica-Antique-/300713620991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4603edb5ff

And, if I am correct, the initials, P S stand for Professional Surveyor!?!?!

Tinkerer, I see that there is writing around the inside of the holder...can you please tell us what it says?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:16:14 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

The Tinkerer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:39 am »
I just found 1 too in the completed listings of eBay claiming to be Edwardian - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item35be666c08&item=230827650056&nma=true&pt=UK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ&rt=nc&si=Ot60DS3khNrDEtfIuRBZ3f5ksW0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_612wt_1396

I assumed that the P.S. maybe the the first 2 initials of the chap who owned this. i.e. P.S. Mason but you may be right.

Heres are some more photos of the writing inside. It reads - P.S. Mason - Forest House - Epsom College

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:25:00 am by The Tinkerer »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:19:00 am »
I'm not completely sure what "Edwardian" period is but we had these when I attended Catholic school from 1st grade to 4th and they were ancient then.  It appears to be solid brass and finely machined as were the ones I used at that time.  We called them "tripod magnifiers".  My guess would be circa 1900 or a few years before.  They were shown in the repro Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalogues circa 1908 or one of the other mail order catalogues.  I wonder if Mason P.S. stands for Mason Public Schools also.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:24 am »
Actually in the late 1800's to mid 1900's, P S after a name refers to Professional Services - one who is degree'd and specialized.  You will still see this after attorneys, etc.

To answer the question, Yes they were able to accurately precisely thread items in the Edwardian Era (King Edward VII reigned from the death of his mother (Queen Victoria) in 1901 until his own death in 1910.)

The Tinkerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:33:36 am »
I just unearthed a bit of information about Forest House, making the assumption that this is the same one written on the box - http://www.epsomcollege.org/forest-house

The funny thing is I actually studied at Epsom College, its where I trained to be a carpenter many years ago.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:42:29 am »
I just looked at that link myself Tinkerer.  Funny coincidence about the school - kinda neat!

Now, seeing the inside I do agree it is the initials of Mason and not a title.

I viewed completed listings on ebay for reference and unless marked or unusual construction, they are selling for an average of $19 to $24.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:35:00 am »
Ok have no clue as to what I am talking about but Cogar, Fancypants, KC, did they thread metal what looks to be so precisely during the Edwardian period??? Would this have to have been made by a jeweler of that time??
You don,t have a clue what you,re talking about????...you were,nt talking about,metal threads as this is your first post....can i have some of you know what....or don,t you know about that either....LOL!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,