Author Topic: Old Typewriter Tanker Desk  (Read 4668 times)

e.mckenna730

• View Profile
Old Typewriter Tanker Desk
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
Hello everyone,

I have been scouring the internet to find out WHEN this desk is from. Pricing isn't too important as I plan to keep it but if you know about that too that would be great! The company is General Fireproofing and it has some wear and scratches. I found it at a location in New York City that takes building materials and various items from gutted/demolished buildings from the metropolitan area. It is obviously not a common model because I have not seen any that look like it on the internet. Using many, many, many, search terms and hours of my time, the same desks always pop up. I attached two images. Let me know if these give a good idea of when this desk is from. I would be happy to take more pictures if need be.

Thank you so much for your input!!

Liz  ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Old Typewriter Tanker Desk
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:07 am »
1930s-40s or so, "scholastic craftsman" (I just made that term up), probably oak underneath the stain/paint.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

e.mckenna730

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:30 am »
I'm sorry! I forgot to add that it is metal. It is EXTREMELY heavy. I tried to move it with my brother and we could barely budge it, (but then again I'm not the strongest person around). It wasn't until after I disassembled the sliding top to clean it that we could actually move it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:30 am »
1930s-40s or so, "scholastic craftsman" (I just made that term up), probably oak underneath the stain/paint.
specsavers for you....2 for the price of one....over here that is.... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:42 am »
My goodness, remember seeing these in offices in the 60's (ones that weren't updated and got hand-me-downs from other businesses) and they were for the secretaries.  Agree with the time period with grasshopper.

Okay, this is odd.  The desks, chairs, office furniture that I have seen from General Fireproofing were made of steel. (Thus fireproof).  I haven't ever seen a wooden desk...so the pic may be misleading....other wise this should be a heavy metal desk that is cumbersome to move!

History
http://pastpresentfuture.net/archives/gf.html

Picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbh3743/5819294862/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

e.mckenna730

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:52 am »
My goodness, remember seeing these in offices in the 60's (ones that weren't updated and got hand-me-downs from other businesses) and they were for the secretaries.  Agree with the time period with grasshopper.

Okay, this is odd.  The desks, chairs, office furniture that I have seen from General Fireproofing were made of steel. (Thus fireproof).  I haven't ever seen a wooden desk...so the pic may be misleading....other wise this should be a heavy metal desk that is cumbersome to move!

So you would agree that this is from the 40's? That's the time period I was thinking because ones made later on were a bit fancier. This is reaaaaally heavy. I forgot to add in the description that it was metal.  I need two other people to help me move it! What would you think the price of this would be? I paid 150 for it and it was pretty mucked up, I cleaned it and waxed it. It looks a lot better in person than it does in the picture. Wanted to know if I paid a fair price for it.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
It's ENTIRELY metal?

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:38 am »
I would bet it is entirely metal !!  Heavy as the dickens and dated about right, 40`s !! For your area, and since it will last forever, not a bad price !! Would be much less here though if you could sell it at all !! They, nor the later ones are  popular in Texas !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:16 am »
Ahhhhh, I mistook those standard craftsman drawer pulls for standard oak.  Guess not!

I never fail to be amazed by this site; it is literally possible to see something new every day.

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:43 am »
The price of Scrap metal has gone through the roof over here!!!!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

e.mckenna730

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »
The price of Scrap metal has gone through the roof over here!!!!

Haha, yea. It's interesting to see how styles seem to cycle back around. I've seen these sell for nearly $1,500 online. Granted, they were refurbished, but nowhere near as rare as this one. My thinking was, I either use this or something from an Ikea catalog that's flimsy and has no resale value.

A big Thank You for everyone's input! I've been trying to put a date to this and now I have a better understanding of the time period