Author Topic: Need help finding info on Westinghouse Fridge  (Read 4847 times)

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
Need help finding info on Westinghouse Fridge
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »
I recently came across a fridge that has been in my barn for quite some time and is going to be thrown away. (Not if I can help it though) I am needing to know info on it by, well, tonight! It is a Westinghouse and model is H-3-39 and Style is 991230. Any and all help is appreciated. They loaded it on the trailer before I could open it up. If you guys think its good, I will unload it and try to save it. They will be taking it in the morning. Oh and a good think MADE IN THE USA. Thansk in advance!

ACStanley

Re: Need help finding info on Westinghouse Fridge
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »
I think its beautiful... but who knows how much its going to cost to do a full restore.... not to mention we have no idea what the innards are like...   

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
ANyplace online I can find out more about it, like year and such?

ACStanley

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »
I think thats a match! I was gonna say prob made in 39' too due to the model number you gave... so it may be this one but just slightly altered...

This is a link to a few refurbished prices http://www.antiqueappliances.com/unrestored.htm scroll to the bottom... I just fear that you may have to put that much into it to have a full restore... but im guessing that there is prob more value in its current condition than scrap metal... not to mention I hate to see that lovely piece thrown away...

ACStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »
but for all I know you may have a very desirable model or not so desirable...

This may be helpful...

http://www.antiqueappliances.com/cgi-bin/appraisal.cgi

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »
Where could I find parts to fix it?

ACStanley

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:09 pm »
not sure... they are prob not remade...so i assume you would have to scour through junk yards, and get custom parts made... You may want to make a few local calls to antique stores and ask around if you have anyone local that does this type of thing... Your value might be in parts... you may find someone that just wants to buy it for that... Good Luck =)

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:59:30 pm »
Well I got it off the trailer (they are going to have a space to fill in the morning!), and I took it to the local car wash and sprayed it off in the dark. I got the door open and it is fairly decent. I think the freezer door part is cracked. I just wish I could find an owners manual or something for it. I am in a small town and don't have any parts places for these. I am also new to this old appliance thing (I'm 22) but I have fixed a 89 PopUp, brought a 57 BelAir back to life fixed newer refrigerators and freezers, washers and dryers and so on... If I can't get this thing running. It would look good with a fresh coat of paint on it. Whaddaya think?!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:19:41 am »
pardon my typing, have to do everything one handed!! no matter if the fridge works or not, i have seen them repainted, cleaned up inside, and used for display with the door open!!  of course that depends on if you have space in your kitchen!!
one had inside, old milk bottles, and food containers from that time period and vintage aprons hanging from the inside of the door on magnetic hangers!!
dont suppose you would post a pic of that 57 ??  thats my dream car,, the black and white one !!

ACStanley

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 07:46:53 am »
Fresh paint sounds awesome! I love Mart's idea of making it a display piece!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:19 am »
It is a really cool piece and love marts idea too , who says a fridge has to used as a fridge!!  veggie bins would be great for socks & underware  ;) rings in the egg indentations, deodorant , perfumes on the door shelves,  pants & shirts on the main racks ooo this  could be fun!! Who needs an old chest with drawers!! would be great in my 8 year olds room with a kitchen table & 1 chair from that era made into a desk for school work!! 

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:31:11 am »
You guys are great!! I was looking online and someone turned an old fridge into a trailer to pull being their vintage car. That was neat (but something I couldn't do!). I will post a pic later of the 57. Better say what most people find to be bad (but I love), it's a 4 door! I know people are always after the 2 doors. Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to mess with it a bit today!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:37 am »
the ones after the two door  ht are more interested in resale value,, i wouldnt care if it had six doors !!  have you tried that old fridge to see if it still works ??  those things hardly ever wear out,, they were made to last !!  its possible that they just got a newer one and set it in the barn !!  a lady gave me a 40`s model frigidare years ago when mine quit running,, she had gotten a new one and didnt need it,, i cant remember how many years i used it, then i gave it to my mother to keep her eggs in,, 10 years later it was still running !!

DC_CustomDesign

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:31 am »
Well it was full of goat and horse poop so I sprayed it off. Also the end of the cord is missing. I'm gonna try to get it clean first and then mess with it a bit to see if it works.