Author Topic: For Wullie.......  (Read 1345 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
For Wullie.......
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:48:31 am »
This wee book has been kicking around since I was a child. It belonged to my uncle who passed when I was probably 5 or 6.

It's a fourth edition and I've found first through third listed with the latest date being 1927, so I'm guessing 1930ish. I pull it out every once in a while for a good giggle and a 'language refresher'.

Wullie, couldn't help but think of you when I read through it.........especial ly some of the more 'pertinent' parts.  :D

sapphire

• View Profile
Re: For Wullie.......
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:47 am »
And now some of the 'Wullie' bits..............

;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:01:28 am »
And lastly, one of the many highlighting Scottish 'thrift'  ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:41 am »
And they,ve no changed..there still classed as tight fisted gits...who can peel an orange in their pooch and you,ll no see them eat it,"pooch"=pocket,
and as for the dictionary...Aiberd een,as its called in the Scots vernacular..was the first City in the whole of the UK,to have its own dictionary....I worked offshore in the 70,s and lived there when on shore...and it was like being in a foreign country....
a Loon.= a boy/man  a quine substitute the i with a y for pronunciation = girl/woman  and the speed in which they talk would leave lesser mortals breathless... and if you like a good laugh..then i suggest you go see the film ..Brave.....you,ll end up coming out of the cinema with no socks on...as you,ll have laughed them off inside...and your k******s will be in a twist.....LOL
i,m away to dig out a book that,ll have you all in stitches...."Weegies Vs Edinbuggers"......LOL
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:08:13 am »
Is that the same as "One there was a girl from Nantucket......"?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."