Author Topic: Stanley Thermos?  (Read 5502 times)

ACStanley

Stanley Thermos?
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »
Another auction find. This is some type of thermos. On the bottom its marked STANLEY "IT WILL NOT BREAK" LANDERS, FRARY & CLARK NEW BRITAIN, CONN. U.S.A. The contraption at the top screws upward to secure the lid or screws down to loosen the handle and allow the top to be removed. It has a very industrial feel to it...

I am unsure of:

Value

Measures

Outside -

15" with the handle up
9" Wide

Inside -

11 1/2" deep
6" wide

Weighs

8lbs 6ozs

ACStanley

Re: Stanley Thermos?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:48:39 pm »
Bottom.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:10:16 am »
The Industrial feel to it,is correct..Over here in the UK these were used to convey food from the kitchens in hospitals...schools ...factories,...or wherever large quantities of hot food were required...some larger one still to be found...but most have probably been broken up for scrap...as they are made of a high grade alumunium...I have Stanley thermos in Stainless steel...bought 25 years ago for £15...very expensive but will last a lifetime and more.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:54 am »
has a deco feel !!  i would guess ice bucket for portable bar !! perhaps like for a caterer !!  now i will try to look it up ~~

ACStanley

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:07 am »
Well I found this on Wiki

"In 1921, Landers, Frary & Clark (L.F&C) of New Britain, Connecticut (a household appliance manufacturer) purchased Stanley Insulating Company and added the Stanley line to their appliance and hardware lines.

In 1933, the entire Stanley operation moved from Great Barrington, Massachusetts to L.F&C’s plant in New Britain, Connecticut. During this time, Harry Badger became Chief Product Research and Manufacturing Engineer and in the following years he continued to develop and add more products to the Stanley line.

In 1949 Harry Badger retired and John Eza became Chief Product Research and manufacturing engineer. From 1949 – 1965 fifteen new products were added and Stanley was now used by airlines, railroads, ocean lines, hospitals and mass feeding institutions."

So I feel that its looks more of a 30s look as Mart suggested. But it appears that if Wull is correct bout its usage, it would date it more to late 40s early 50s...

ACStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:13 am »
HA! I just turned into a full member! Its been fun. I learn so much from your guys and gals everyday! Thanks for being here and accepting new members so gracefully.

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:22:37 am »
Wiki also has this to say -

"Early uses for the Stanley bottle have included flying with the pilots on B-17’s during World War II, carrying human organs, transporting bull semen by the cattle industry, and accompanying crews on deep sea explorations."

I hope that mine was not used in the bold lettering!  :o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:43:23 am »
lol,dont worry, those carry straws that hold the semen that need to stand upright and are made differently !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:11 am »
Mart, he cracked me up on that one!  ACStanley, they still transport it these days - very big business all over the world!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:14 am »
...  ACStanley, they still transport it these days - very big business all over the world!!!

If it had been designed for that purpose, I'm guessing it would have been made with a lock to secure it. Some of that stuff gets more expensive than French perfume. ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:44:07 am »
oh yeah !!  dig in your back pocket deep or take out a bank loan !!  i used to have our milk cows done AI but didnt get into the really high priced ones !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »
A.I.... I saw that film...thought it was great!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 06:28:32 pm »
Huh ???  AI = artificial insemination !!  What movie would that be ??

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:19 pm »
Great Barrington is beautiful area. Horse country. Lots of sperm there! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 07:09:01 pm »
LOL !!