Author Topic: Green Depression Glass Luncheon Set  (Read 6059 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Green Depression Glass Luncheon Set
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:47:23 am »
I have a 27-piece luncheon set for 8 in green Horseshoe (a.k.a. Number 612) pattern. There are cups, saucers, plates, creamer, sugar and a sandwich serving plate - all in good condition. I've tried to sell the whole set for $150 which is quite reasonable considering individual pieces are on Ebay for an average price of $20 apiece, but I haven't received any "nibbles". I know my mother paid several hundred dollars for it in the mid-1970s (which is over $1000 in today's money). Is my price fair?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Green Depression Glass Luncheon Set
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:54:42 am »
debodun, your asking price is surely a bargain …… but, ……. selling it as a “27 piece matched set” severely limits your potential buyers to either a dealer or a “newbie” who wants their 1st set of Depression glassware.

Those who “collect” that pattern are only looking for individual pieces and they will often pay premium prices to acquire said pieces. 

If yours were the Blue Royal Lace pattern then you probably would have no trouble selling it as a “set”.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:58:29 am »
Well said cogar!!  Horseshoe pattern is not as scarce as once thought. Ebay brought the prices down of all dep glass as prior you had to hunt for it and many pieces where thought to be scarce with ebay everyone unpacked their closets and it is everywhere! Personally I only collect Elegant dep glass. Or unique pieces I really love.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »
It's sad that the popular items of the 70s and 80 are no longer "hot" collectibles. Most people that come to my tag sales ask for gold and other precious metals, pro sports memorabilia, military items and old fishing lures. Just what I DON'T have! Nobody seems interested in vintage glassware or pottery these days and I have cabinets full of that.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »
Beautiful collection you have and it is sad the younger generation just does not care for  Dep glass ! It will be worth $$$$ when most of it has been thrown out to the trash because it will be left in estates and the kids don't want it and no one is buying it so rather than take up space in peoples homes it will go to the trash. when it becomes scarce it will be worth $$$$$$ then and only then  people will be searching for it again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »
dont know where you are located but it still sells well in some areas in Texas !!  try craigslist rather than ebay if you try to sell it as a set !!

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:18:15 am »
Wendy you are right my generation and younger have not much interest in Depression Glass, but at estate sales here on the Shore, these pieces still go for top dollar with the older generations... so it is being bought up on my side of the Bay...

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:25:59 am »
Mart & ACS you are correct but at some point  these older generations... that are buying  will be leaving it to their children and like I said kids don't want it and not many will be buying it at that point  so rather than take up space in peoples homes it will go to the trash. Like my collection I have 2 boys to leave all my Elegant glass to and I honestly do not see my boys setting up and keeping this beautiful glass, if they can not sell it I know where it will go!! It is like Hummels I have over 80  they were my mothers & grandmothers. I just carefully bubble wrapped them all boxed them and here they sit in my cellar. It is not a collection I care for and love as they did so My glass has taken that space. The boys will not want the Hummels either so out they will go.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:04 am »
You probably could make a stipulation in your Last Will what to do with your beloved collectibles if nobody in your family wants them.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:21 pm »
Hopefully I will start giving it away before I die. Then I will know who really wants it. Then I'll sell it, if they don't. My mother in law has been slowly giving her things as gifts. That way she doesn't have to worry. Just try throwingn it out then. She would kill you, lol ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:24 am »
That’s why I was always excited about tracking down the “garage sales” when visiting the kids in Florida.  ;D ;D

With so many of the younger generation migrating there for work and warm climate, many of them will inherit their parent’s “goodies” which they will pack up and carry back to Florida. And not really knowing what to do with it, much will eventually be “un-packed” and put on a table in the garage or on their lawn or driveway and sold for dimes n’ quarters.

Only to be carried back north and re-sold again.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:29 am »
Cogar You got it!! ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:29:10 am »
You have a beautiful set. 

Good advice and tips given from the forum.  The full set is a stretch for people to buy...but people can justify reasonably up to $30 for pieces.

I have friends in the jewelry business...and their business is B O O M I N G!!!!  When a depression type season hits the economy....large purchases, dentist visits, doctor visits, new car sales go down.  However, small items of value go up.  Research has been done and the ones that boom are jewelry, liquor, used car sales and lower line clothing. 

There will always be some that come around and start collecting depression era glass....after all, we are here!!!  For instance I collect silver dessert/pastry forks and have for years.  My mom had a set in her silverware set and I became obsessed.  I could get in bidding wars up to $94 for 6 forks but can pay $110 for 12 with no problem!!!!  It is all in the mentality and what people feel they can spend.  I know one day when my kids sell them off that I have instructed not to sell them in sets of 12, but to break them up in 6, 4 and 2.  They will possibly more than triple what I paid by doing this!  The person who buys the 2 and 4 will most likely want the 6 or visa-versa.  (I know they will sell off some because I have over 120 forks!)

The better time to sell is between Halloween (closer to Thanksgiving) and Christmas for items such as yours and again before Valentines day!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:34 am »
And just before the big Flea Markets open their “doors” beginning on Memorial Weekend.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:32 pm »
Agree cogar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!