Author Topic: 18th Century Painted Chest  (Read 15100 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Century Painted Chest
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:09 am »
Looking at the last pic again this morning, the paint decoration looks original to me. If you have a black light, that should tell you if any modern paint is present as it will glow under a black light and really old paint will not.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:51:44 am by jacon4 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:31 am »
Thank you for all of your replies and your advice!
Jacon: I will try to find my black light today. We just moved and I'll have to go through boxes to find it. I'll attach a few more pictures. The only reason I thought that it had been repainted is because of the paint over the worm damage and that pattern that could be underneath the paint. But it could also just be faded. The front is twice as thick but it is not a single thick board, it looks like there is one board on the inside (that has the flat panels) and several little pieces of wood applied to the front with wood dowels. The carved area on the front also looks like it is applied, not carved into the board.

If it is the original paint, and with it's missing feet, and it's condition, what do you think it would be worth? I have seen wildly differing asking prices for similar European chests in similar condition, anywhere from $1,000-$3,000. Frankly, I'll be excited if it's worth more than the $250 I paid for it. Even if it isn't, I love it so much that I wouldn't care. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:33:20 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 07:30:15 am »
Top.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 07:37:23 am »
Oh, and this link that you provided is very similar to mine in style and construction, it seems! Especially the way the wood is applied to the front. It is much more elaborate and in much better condition.

http://www.antiqueandartexchange.com/catalog/case-pieces/blanket-chests/swedish-painted-dowry-chest
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:39:54 am by hosman321 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 08:05:05 am »
Thank you for all of your replies and your advice!
Jacon: I will try to find my black light today. We just moved and I'll have to go through boxes to find it. I'll attach a few more pictures. The only reason I thought that it had been repainted is because of the paint over the worm damage and that pattern that could be underneath the paint. But it could also just be faded. The front is twice as thick but it is not a single thick board, it looks like there is one board on the inside (that has the flat panels) and several little pieces of wood applied to the front with wood dowels. The carved area on the front also looks like it is applied, not carved into the board.

If it is the original paint, and with it's missing feet, and it's condition, what do you think it would be worth? I have seen wildly differing asking prices for similar European chests in similar condition, anywhere from $1,000-$3,000. Frankly, I'll be excited if it's worth more than the $250 I paid for it. Even if it isn't, I love it so much that I wouldn't care. ;)
Good for you....i,m the same...if i like it i buy it...without thinking...will i make a profit!!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:46 am »
How much is it worth? I don't know in todays market, I would guess $500-$800 retail on the east coast, maybe more on west. Below is a chest i bought 6-7 years ago online at a small auction house in upper NY state, it's a dovetailed case with carved panels & original paint decoration. I was interested because of THE PAINT! naturally, but mostly because of the tulip/flower painted between the carved panels, i thought it might be American because the PA. germans used the tulip theme ALOT on their 18th century painted chests. Alas, it was not to be american but the dealer at cupboards & roses came closest to the region in europe where this chest came from i think. I would give her a shout on your chest with pics attached and see what she says.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:50 am »
last pic of 1769 dower chest

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:08 am »
"The key is missing"

A word of caution about old chests that still have their locks but no key. In my case i learned the hard way to DISABLE THE LOCK before you start messing with the chest! As you can see on the above chest, it's missing the moulding around the base and i lifted it up on it's end/ side to see if it had indications of feet on it's bottom (it didnt) and, as soon as i lifted it, BAM! i heard a CLICK! the chest locked itself! Took me several days of messing with the lock to get it open again, just sayin.............. ..

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
Your chest is amazing, jacon! I love it. Very similar star to mine. So nice that it is dated, kind of takes away the guesswork, doesn't it? I will remember your advice about the locks in the future, this chest is missing the part of the lock that attaches to the lid so I won't have that problem this time! I have an 1870s tool chest that locks itself when I close it sometimes. I better not lose that skeleton key. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:26:39 am by hosman321 »

arow900

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:57 pm »
could be a dowry chest ! excellent find !  i would agree on 18th century but probably mid to late !
              I think your right. seen many but can't date it. great piece.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »
Great advice about the lock from Jacon.  Kids have become trapped in trunks and even newer cedar chests when they tried to hide.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 12:04:12 am »
I measured the top, it's 24.5" wide. Forgot to mention that. One of the boards is about 14.5" wide. I found this piece of fabric crumpled into a tiny little ball, stuffed into one of the holes where one of the feet used to be. The seam is hand sewn. It's so cool to imagine how long it may have been stuffed in there! I put a little note in an envelope in the inside compartment stating when I bought it, where, and about the fabric. Still looking for my black light. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:31:37 am by hosman321 »

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:32 am »
Hi it looks late 18th early 19th c  the wood is evidently slow growing pine which denotes it as Northern , in UK this is often Scottish , so could be anywhere paralel/ Northern ! regards Martin
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:39 am »
Thank you for your reply, Martin! I appreciate your advice!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 07:21:15 am »
Great advice about the lock from Jacon.  Kids have become trapped in trunks and even newer cedar chests when they tried to hide.
Never mind Kids getting trapped,what about me...i got locked in my car recently,i was sitting in the drivers seat put the key in the ignition,turned it,the fob piece broke off,...then everything went nuts,the dead bolts snapped shut,the windows would,nt open,the wipers went crazy,the hazard light were flashing,...i was stuck inside for 1 hour,fortunately for me it was,nt a hot day,...then my wife came out looking for me,...then she used the spare key to open the door,..the fault was in the onboard computer...or ECU as we call it,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,