Author Topic: Vintage yard sale find.  (Read 10493 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage yard sale find.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
Our Atlantic are the 'babies' of the species I guess. Up to 40 lbs, but a few recorded at 50+. But they are sooooooo tasty.

You and Wullie need to meet up and try out our Margaree River in Cape Breton. Well known down here to the salmon lovers......fly fishing only. Wullie, you'd feel right at home in our Nova Scotia highlands (and considering Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland)   ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »
i keep thinking "dinner "!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »
I have a distant relative from my grans side of the family,who emigrated to Nova Scotia in the 50,s and this pic could easily have been taken here in Old Scotland,The river Tay,in Scotland boasts some of the best fishing in world..yes the world...and recently a small stretch of the river  was sold off,for £1,000,000, yes you are seeing correct £1m
see link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fECMOH83ewk
I had oak smoked salmon on lightly buttered toast this morning for breakfast.....luver ly....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »
I write fishing reports for a US/Canadian website and see pictures of monster salmon and muskies landed in Maine and Canada and have never caught one myself. You guys are killing me. At least I have the striped bass in the surf here. To think about landing a 36 pound striper on 8 pound line is beyond my imagination. He would strip my spool in minutes. I have seen a 20 pound fish spool a guy with 10 pound line in a minute

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:11:03 pm »
thank heavens our catfish are not the best fighters !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:24 pm »
I hear you , frogpatch ... I was rather suprised to land that one myself .
As is common with the Chinook when first hooked , the salmon attempted to 'sound' (go deep) , but the drop-off where I was fishing was not too deep (for Puget Sound , anyways) . He ran up & down parallel to the shore for the majority of the high-tide fight (where there is lots of kelp) .
I still consider it a wonderment that that particular fish got landed by this old man !

I could be snotty about having such dumb luck & although I've been 'specialized' saltwater salmon fishing with light/ultralight gear for decades ... it was just a heap o' luck & a little skill .

Truth of the story is that I was going to use lighter gear (4lb test) that day , but decided on the 'heavy' 8lb on that morning ..... go figure .

Hooked alot more than landed , with the light & barbless gear .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
You guys are true sportsman....8lb line...4lb line....Nae chance....my motto is 30lb line....but i do give them some hope...as i have a 20lb leader..... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 08:58:51 am »
Fancypants, I once fished for Coho on the Kitimat. It was a 2-day stopover on our way to the bush in northern BC. Cooking 2 or 3 of those Cohos on the riverbank proved to be almost as tasty and delicious as doing the same with fresh caught native Brook Trout. I really didn’t like “store bought” salmon before that event.

We thought they were pretty big fish until our guide told us we should come back in July when the King salmon were running. The Lake Trout in northern BC are also big and delicious.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:40 am »
Just last month I saw on the news that an Englishman caught a giant white Sturgeon what a whopper...
link
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/20/fraser-river-sturgeon-biggest_n_1690536.html

arow900

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 07:27:03 pm »
      Can I ask what you paid for them.  I love them

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 07:49:05 pm »
      Can I ask what you paid for them.  I love them

I picked them up for $5 for the pair. No dickering or talking her down, that was her asking price .......and I was more than happy to pay it. ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:30 am »
Dickering???so that,s what Haggling is called in your neck of the woods...interesting ...as for "talking down"..over here the definition of that,means ..someone who thinks they are superior to the other...

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:44 am »
Dickering???so that,s what Haggling is called in your neck of the woods...interesting ...as for "talking down"..over here the definition of that,means ..someone who thinks they are superior to the other...

We use haggling too and you can talk someone down in price, but if you 'talk down' to someone you might go home with your teeth in your back pocket.  ;)  See, we're not that different! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 07:27:45 am »
If I was ever in that kind of situation,my teeth would be in my pocket before i started,...the joys of dentures,...i can remember one time whilst driving,the window was open and i felt a sneeze coming on,...dangerous when driving...i turned my head ..sneezed..and my top denture flew out the window...never to be seen again....LOL!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 08:01:24 am »
If I was ever in that kind of situation,my teeth would be in my pocket before i started,...the joys of dentures,...i can remember one time whilst driving,the window was open and i felt a sneeze coming on,...dangerous when driving...i turned my head ..sneezed..and my top denture flew out the window...never to be seen again....LOL!

OMG! I must remember not to be drinking pepsi whilst reading your posts.  :D