Author Topic: Interesting cookie jar has me stumped!!  (Read 7042 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Interesting cookie jar has me stumped!!
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
Here is another find for $1 from a rummage sale.  When i first glanced at it I thought well that's odd and unusual and probably from the 70's or so, so for a buck - couldn't pass it up.

So I got it home and really started looking at it.  - Wierd paint color and has someone's initials on the bottom - probably made in a class.

Ok here is where my questions come in:

There are 3 scenes which I am trying to figure out - must come from a story - german maybe?

The smallest scene is of a man possibly lighting a pipe by the fireplace with his dog

Another is of a group of men I believe drinking ale in a pub or something - shows one man holding up a mug and a woman is pouring something into a stein on the other side

The third scene is of a man riding a horse - about to cross a bridge with 2 females flying behind him - one holding the horses tail and the other holding a broom.

This has to be from something.  Very interesting

Next question is the black spots inside.  They look yuck like mildew but appear to be right in the glaze.  Could this be staining from air bubbles? 

As always thanks for the help.

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Interesting cookie jar has me stumped!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:55:53 pm »
2 more pics and I meant to say that the clothing defintely says "not american" but it has definitely been a topic of conversation in my house for the last few days  LOL

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 05:56:55 pm »
And I forgot the pics  - oh boy

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »
and the bottom please,, that has the initials !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »
You got it - just didn't have a good one of the bottom but did best I could.  The spot you see that looks like a chip is actually glazed over which I found interesting.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »
This is a very interesting cookie jar...here in Scotland we would call it a glazed pot,...but what interests me,is the scene..of the rider being chased over the bridge....This has all the makings of Tam O, Shanter...a poem by Rabbie Burns,...in this poem,which is a very long poem,he tells the story of Tam O, Shanter,being chased over a stone bridge by two witches..see pic...here are twa lines from near the end of the poem...

"They only just make it though, as Nannie, first among the "hellish legion" chasing, grabs the horse's tail, which comes off. In fine, tongue-in-cheek moralistic mode",
here,s another pic of Tam being chased,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:44:00 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »
It made me think of the same , bigwull !

I think you're right on with the Burns tale !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
another link...to the best poem ever written...and maybe the longest....

http://www.robertburns.plus.com/tamoshanter.htm

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:41:22 am »
I knew it had to come from some tale or another. Yippeee - thanks Bigwull!!  Well no time to read the whole poem now but will glance through it to get more information!!  That's why I love this forum!!!

I don't think this was made so so long ago - maybe 70's?

Also I don't know enough about ceramics to describe those black spots - they don't come off and appear to be right in the glaze.  Could it just be from air bubbles and/or other mishaps during glazing or firing?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:12:17 am »
This damn cookie Jar/Biscuit barrel...has had my old brain working overtime....i, think this might be a lot older than the 70,s...these black spots are indeed firing faults...when it was in the kiln...its like salt glaze pottery,...its definitely Tam o, Shanter.  see link to something similar   pics on jug

http://pages.timewasantiques.net/8824/PictPage/1922571706.html

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:30 am »
Hey Bigwull - now that I know what to look for I found this one that sold in 2009 - no price - but states it was made in the 60's - same scenes, shape and lid except it does not show that one smaller scene of the man, his dog by the fireplace.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/9057693/1960s-witchhunt-ceramic-canister-cookie

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:34:23 am »
Hmmm ok just scanned the poem - the inn scene and the scene of him on his horse with the two witches chasing totally fits.  Trying to fit the smaller scene in of him and his dog.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 05:01:01 am »
Hmmm ok just scanned the poem - the inn scene and the scene of him on his horse with the two witches chasing totally fits.  Trying to fit the smaller scene in of him and his dog.
...You don,t have to convince me.......and you finding that biscuit barrel/cookie jar, that sold in 2009.should be enough to convince you,...your next step should be...in contacting the seller of that other pot, and ask her how much she got...cause i would....

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:06:33 am »
Thanks for helping to solve this mystery that did prompt a lot of creative conversation for a few days   ::)

ACStanley

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:18:57 am »
I have a shop on Etsy and not only have I had folks ask me about pricing but I too have been on the other end asking for pricing. I am sure that they will give you a response. Etsy tends to be a very friendly community of sellers. I love your new piece.

Cheers