Author Topic: Garden Find  (Read 8550 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Find
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:12 pm »
And to think my son just spent some time 'over your way' only a few weeks ago! He was over for a three day course in Leeds so took advantage of the company paid flight and booked his vacation for the same time. Once his course was over and he'd had a chance to explore a bit of Leeds he hopped the train and headed for Edinburgh. As promised he sent me some lovely pictures and has plans to go back for a more extended trip someday. So if you dig up any more 'uglies' I'll get him to take them off your hands......and out of wifey's sight.   ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:51:05 pm »
Thanks for posting the article!  Interesting!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 11:48:36 pm »
Time to get yourself a metal detector!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:46:48 am »
And to think my son just spent some time 'over your way' only a few weeks ago! He was over for a three day course in Leeds so took advantage of the company paid flight and booked his vacation for the same time. Once his course was over and he'd had a chance to explore a bit of Leeds he hopped the train and headed for Edinburgh. As promised he sent me some lovely pictures and has plans to go back for a more extended trip someday. So if you dig up any more 'uglies' I'll get him to take them off your hands......and out of wifey's sight.   ;)
If your son was in Edinburgh over the past couple of weeks i,m sure he had a ball, this is the best time to visit Edinburgh,as the Festival and Fringe is on....its a shame I had,nt found this forum earlier....who knows, my wife and i could have given him a short tour of the Highlands......and a couple of Tins of his Ma,s favourite fish...John West,Red Salmon.... :).a well never mind!!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 05:49:01 am »
Time to get yourself a metal detector!!!
No good to me I,m half Deaf!!....they don,t vibrate do they?...or am i thinking of something else!!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 07:59:44 am »
If your son was in Edinburgh over the past couple of weeks i,m sure he had a ball, this is the best time to visit Edinburgh,as the Festival and Fringe is on....its a shame I had,nt found this forum earlier....who knows, my wife and i could have given him a short tour of the Highlands......and a couple of Tins of his Ma,s favourite fish...John West,Red Salmon.... :).a well never mind!!

He spent about four days in Edinburgh after a train ride up. Totally loved the architecture and spent his time just wandering around and shooting pictures for his mom. Then he flew to Dublin with the intention of heading for Galway, but was so taken with the city he just stayed right there. He met some lovely people in Edinburgh and felt quite at home. One elderly couple he chatted with apologized to him for the damp weather and he assured them it was no problem at all.......it was just like home. He's planning on a return trip or two, with more time to spend exploring.

Here's one of the shots he sent me knowing how much it resembled the 'old' part of Halifax........the part that didn't get blown to bits or torn down to build concrete and glass horrors.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 08:17:50 am »
My Wife and I love Edinburgh,especially the old Town,this is up near the Castle...The Royal Mile runs from the Castle right down to Holyrood Palace and during the festival this street is jam packed with Street Performers and tourists,....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:09 am »
Okay....here I'm zinging off into another subject...but talesof...do you or anyone recommend a certain kind/brand of metal detector?  I have always wanted to get one.  My in-laws used to go to parks/beaches and find LOTS of jewelry (3 diamond engagement rings).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
Over here in the UK,is the place to be for metal detecting...a hoard that was found in Staffordshire in 2009 was the largest in the UK,.see link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hoards_in_Britain#Anglo-Saxon_hoards
and up here in Scotland an enthusiast recently found a hoard,of gold coins with an estimated value of £1.5m

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:49 am »
I'd heard about that 2009 find .

That would put a wire brush up your kilt !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:27 am »
I'd heard about that 2009 find .

That would put a wire brush up your kilt !
You leave my Kilt out of it!!!...anyway..there would,nt be enough room up there....LOL

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:43 am »
I can't make any recommendations, my metal detector is an old cheapy from Radio Shack! Technology has come a long way since I bought mine. It has one beep tone and can't tell the difference between a beer can and a diamond ring! So I dig up a lot of junk!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »
I've had a lot of experience with metal detecting and have owned a few. I would say the best bang for your buck would be the Garrett Ace 250. I think it cost me about $200 or $250 New a few years back.

I'm sure it's much cheaper on ebay along with others that other people might recommend. Here's a picture of mine below.

Of course you could go way out on the limb for the best Whites or Garrett metal detectors and spend hundreds more.

P.S. Wull, I would kindly let you borrow mine but the shipping charges back and forth would cost way too much.:)

" width="657" height="737" border="0

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:02 pm »
about 10 years ago i was at an auction...old habits die hard...and i got an ex M.O.D...mine detector.. that they had used post war..you know the type..the one with the muckle big head on it,and the earphones with the twisted cable...it came in a great big wooden crate...it cost me £2..and surprisingly it worked... i ended up selling it on ebay,.....
btw nice looking detector....Kevin.. ...

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »
I've got a friend that uses a couple pieces of bent #9 wire to
"witch" for buried coins, etc. He seems to have as much success
as everyone else. (But then again, he used to be able to listen to
KOMA from OK City on one of his tooth fillings. ::))