Author Topic: Few bits and bobs i found in an old tin  (Read 2734 times)

morgaine

• View Profile
Few bits and bobs i found in an old tin
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:21 am »
 The first item is a war time match box cover but i have checked and only ones i have found are all brass mainly Mine seems to be brass and some other metal for helmet part any info would be appreciated, pictures below...thankyou

Next is a watch chain with a H.lewis medallion from bond street london on it i cant seem to find any like this one it has rearing horse on it, would like to know what the medallion is for? again any info would be greatly appreciated, picture below ....thankyou

And lastly i have this sculpture i think its bone or ivory but not sure and dont know where to begin looking for any info on this, tried a search but scrolled through lots of pictures but nothing like this to be found ....if i even knew what type of woman she is it would help ....so any ifo on this one would help a lot....pictures below....thankyou

PLease can anyone help with any of these items ...it would be very appreciated ..Thankyou Morgaine  :)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Few bits and bobs i found in an old tin
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:10 am »
The dancer looks  like something you might bring home from Bangladesh as a souvenir.

I looked at and now I can't get Ray Wiley Hubbard's song: "Snake Farm" out of my head. ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:58 am »
The matchbox holder..is probably first world war...as the Helmet is a German design,..Trench Art,is what it comes under..probably made by a soldier from an old shell case then decorated with the badge...that could have been a metal button..or part of a medal,that was stripped from a dead adversory...

The chain is a fob watch chain,it looks like its silver..but the light is bad ..check for a hall mark...on the links and the cross bars..

The statue looks to be Indian in origin...it could be ivory...but i suspect that its bone...because my feeling is if it were ivory..then it would not have that amount of staining, ..then again it might be resin...take a pic of the base...underside... it may tell us more...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14:07 am »
The dancer looks  like something you might bring home from Bangladesh as a souvenir.

I looked at and now I can't get Ray Wiley Hubbard's song: "Snake Farm" out of my head. ;D
No Cobra,s in the US....but i,d never heard of Ray Wiley....but from what i,ve now heard...i,m going shopping....ebay here i come....

morgaine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:23 am »
Thankyou Rauville and bigwull ive looked at some indian gods and some have that base bit so am looking in right place just have to find which god  :)

Yes i thought it might be trench art....will also look for hallmark on watch chain ....

here is 2 pictures of base of statue it has very tiny holes in it.....

Thankyou again for help.... :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
Where did God come from???...i,m thinking more along the lines of exotic dancer...snake charmer...but you can try Hindi,...Vishnu...as for the little holes in the base....these could be air holes....indicating that its possibly been cast.....to test you can heat a needle and stick it in the base,if it goes in then it is most likely resin...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
On the match box holder i see the word France...but can,t make out the other word....what does it say...
as for the medallion...this looks like a first world war German medallion...possibl y cavalry....what is on the obverse side....

morgaine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:39 am »
Bigwull the dancer or charmer is resin pin went in.....the match box says souvenir de france and on base of medallion it says H.lewis 172 new bond street london and the number 319.... :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:20 am »
I shall give myself a Coconut...for the resin test....matchbox holder...its still trench Art...as for the medallion...i don,t have a clue...but i,ll keep trying

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:54 am »
This link is interesting,unfortunately no pic...but i,m on the right track
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100507145535AAkHq7l

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:07 am »
Right...172 New bond St..was the address for H.Lewis...no relation to "Huey" :D from 1880 until 1898 the number on the back is probably an issue number,...indicating how many were made...it is a Maltese Cross...so that gives us more to go on

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
Have watched this site for awhile....it may help you out on the cigarette holder.  All you can do is ask....
http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/display.php?getcategory=Trench+Art
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

morgaine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
I found that link too Bigwull but it didnt help me so glad you found out more though, and thankyou so much for all your help and i liked huey nice tunes  ;D lots of searching for maltese cross connection now for me .....and the date will help too ....Thankyou again... :)
And a thankyou to K.C too for the site i will ask ...