Author Topic: Silver or silverplate?  (Read 4764 times)

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
Silver or silverplate?
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:07:09 pm »
Found this at a garage sale today.  J Rodgers silver company, New York. It is 10" tall and 8" wide. Only thing I've found about this company is that there is not a lot of information for it! Smells and looks like silver to me, but there is no 925 or sterling marks. Any help with what this is or if it is silver would be much appreciated.

Charlie

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Silver or silverplate?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:26:03 pm »
Argghhhhh........th e name of it escapes me. I know others here will remember what it's called. It should have matching spoons to fit into those recesses surrounding it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:00 pm »
you could do an ascetic acid test on a part that is,nt  seen...if it turns black its e.p.n.s....little spoons ...mustard perhaps...jam...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »
OK, I don't remember it being called a caviar bowl/dish, but did get some hits using that term. I'm sure it has a specific name......just can't dig it out of my brain right now.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »
Confiturier!!!  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
Confiturier!!!  ;D
there goes another Coconut!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »
nice little silver piece !! good even if plate !!  now find the spoons that go with it !!

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
Finally! Some place to put all my caviar!! 8)

I'm new to all this so I will probaby ask this question a few more times in the future... any ideas as to the age?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:25:55 pm »
http://silverandsilverplate.blogspot.ca/2010/04/clearing-up-rogers-confusion-marks-and.html

"J. Rogers Silver Co., Inc.
     Little known "

Still looking ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »
http://www.examiner.com/article/rogers-the-silver-industry

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LyxjcTd4Oy4J:www.justanswer.com/antiques/4zidu-silver-cup-rogers-silver-co-476-28-stampedon.html+j.+rogers+silver+co.+new+york&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari

"Yes this is real, the J. ROGERS SILVER Co., Inc. [later ONEIDA] New York, NY, USA) There is not much known about this company other then they were in business in the 1800's to early 1900's later they became Oneida."

http://chicagosilver.com/smarks4.htm

I also found a newspaper advert for jobs with good wages with J. Rogers, Laight St., from June, 1919........but couldn't snag a screen shot

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:44:27 pm by sapphire »

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
Thank you Sapphire!  I love the dark, shiny color of this piece and would never clean it. Does patina increase value?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »
Not with silverplate. That would be the last thing you'd want. Pain in the a$$ that it is (polishing), you're better off giving it a good cleaning and displaying with occasional touch ups or wrapping in saran wrap to help keep the tarnish at bay. That tarnish can, over time, remove the silver plating and leave you with a less attractive piece.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for spoons to compliment it.  BTW I forgot to ask, does it have it's glass liner?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:36:07 pm »
Yea agree.  If you are buying you want it nice and shiny...that way you can tell if there is any silver loss or pitting since it is a thin coat of silver over a base plate of metal.

But, if it is yours and you aren't into polishing...enjoy!!!!

Nice piece.  Collectible!  Especially with the spoons!  But I am betting it is for sugar!  (The acids in fruits would turn the silver color.)
Is this yours or one like yours?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-1890s-SILVER-PLATE-SPOON-HOLDER-W-SUGAR-BOWL-/230841587466?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item35bf3b170a    
ANTIQUE 1890s SILVER PLATE SPOON HOLDER W SUGAR BOWL

I have never heard of a confiturier. I have heard of a confiture bowl/ server - for jams/jellies.   In fact when I looked up confiturier it comes back as a wooden cabinet that stores jams.  
Confiture Bowls 1800's

I have known caviar bowls/servers and domed butter servers.  They can come with hinged and sliding tops or separate tops.  There is always a glass insert in the silver or the caviar will turn the silver color. For the butter there is a glass insert for the butter and ice or cold water fits underneath as well. 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:00:23 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ANCIENTONE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 07:41:07 am »
BTW I forgot to ask, does it have it's glass liner?

No liner but inside is very clean, like it has never been used. It may be missing like the spoons... Would it be OK to find non matching spoons? Doubt I would find their match.

Sapphire,  sugar for your coffee! I hate using the same spoon as someone else!  :) 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 08:21:31 am »
If you are keeping for yourself,then a non matching set would be ok,providing they were very small one,s so as to not have them out of proportion to the dish itself,as for a glass liner,what you could do, is find a bottle with a circumference that is close to the bowl then have the bottom of the bottle cut off,then insert it in