Author Topic: Antique Unfinished Carousel Horse?  (Read 2038 times)

OnyxBrown

• View Profile
Antique Unfinished Carousel Horse?
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:44:52 am »
Hi. Yesterday I purchased this from a lady and she told me it was an unfinished carousel horse? It was found in pieces in an old barn in Maine. I have all the parts to put it back together except for the ear is broke and nowhere to be found. She was asking $500 but sold it to me for $200. I think she was tried of lugging it around, it is very heavy. It looks to be made of pine? I have no idea how old it is and havent found any online that look just like it? I would appreciate any info I could get on it. Thanks

OnyxBrown

• View Profile
Re: Antique Unfinished Carousel Horse?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:17 am »
I have the tail as well, just didnt post the pic, as it was taking forever to get the loaded.

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:56:26 am »
The carvings on this are very shallow, could you take a photo of where the head is supposed to attach to the body?

OnyxBrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:42 am »
It wont let me post it, says the file is too large. I will try taking another one later and see if it will post. Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:09 am »
This Horse is not Pine...pine is too soft.its definitely a hard wood.....this is probably Oak...judging by the colour of the wood at its broken ear...as for the depth of carving...this is not an issue...the relief is enough to make out the finer details of its mane face,eye,s, and anyway if the carving was too deep, then dainty little fingers of children might have got stuck,...No this is a really nice object...and over here in UK,there is a following...and at £135 approx, i,d pay that all day long....very nice I like it a lot...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:08 am »
from the approx size i don`t think its a carousel horse !! its a bit small for that and you didnt say if it was drilled or not !!  looks like it isn`t !!   i think its more likely an early 1900`s victorian toy horse possibly to be mounted on rockers !! that ear would be easy for anyone to repair that does a bit of woodwork !!  could even be made with wood putty and matched in color !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:35 am »
Can you measure it,i.e. length of the body, and size of head,..it may be as Mart says, and if it is,its still a nice piece,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 11:51:18 am »
I would have an experienced woodworker finish and mount it !!  Excellent find at that price and worth more than you gave !!  just dont refinish it !! beautiful honey tone on that wood !!  refinish and value is half as much !!