Author Topic: For Progressive Rock fans....  (Read 11502 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
For Progressive Rock fans....
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »
I,ve had this little box for nigh on 35 years...i made it whilst twiddling my thumbs on a pipe laying barge in the Gulf of Mexico...and the art work was done,by the cook,who only knew how to cook Gumbo!. :D..he was wasted as a cook...i told him he would make more money as an artist....he copied whats on the box from 2  favourite albums of mine...he only used felt tip pens,the box is a Strepsils lozenge tin.the wood strips are toothpicks stuck on and sanded,then after the pics were added it was varnished...how many of you can identify the album from which these pics come,..He also painted this for me.it measures,30in x 20in and is oil paint on hardboard...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: For Progressive Rock fans....
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »
King Crimson  Court of the Crimson King

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:39:28 pm »
King Crimson  Court of the Crimson King
Yup...I saw them in Hyde Park London 1n 1969..i was 19...and me and a few friends had a great view of the stage...and we had a J or 2 or 3 and when they let rip with 21st Century Schizoid Man....i was blown away in more ways than one....they were awsome...and for the past 40 odd years i think i,ve been stuck in a time warp....with having a lot of albums by too few artists....i can count on 2 hands the amount of different artists albums i have....at the forefront is Pink Floyd.followed by King C,then Frank Z,then the Stones,Scorpions,Jethro Tull,Iron Butterfly,Hendrix,...to name but a few...oh and the other side of the box...the Allman Brothers....oh and Neil Young....Then there,s the Rocky Horror picture show...."lets do the time warp again"

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:57:23 pm »
My husband is a major "Allman Brothers " fan. I been to the whipping post one to many times! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:32:17 pm »
My husband is a major "Allman Brothers " fan. I been to the whipping post one to many times! ;D
Whipping Post???Oooooooo! thats too much information for an old codger like me..... ;D...next you,ll be telling me your names Jessica!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
Lol, or Maybe sweet Melissa! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

msghopper1924

• Ms Ghopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
So you've got KC's 'Court of the Crimson King' on the front, original painting by Barry Godber, who died almost immediately after painting it. I've seen KC myself, but far more recent incarnations, in '96 and '06 or so. They're on hiatus these days.

You're making Allman Brothers jokes; 'Eat a Peach' is the album cover pictured.

Oh, and the original crucifixion painting is, of course, by Dali.

Sad how many dead folks that are now associated with the groups you listed: Zappa, Wright and Barret from Floyd, Hendrix of course, the list goes on....

Would that be called "sailor art?" Scrimshaw for the 70s?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:57:32 pm by msghopper1924 »
Endeavor to Persevere!
-Chief Dan George

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »
The Original Christ of St John is in Glasgow Art Gallery...It was purchased in 1951 for £8,200...and they got the marketing rights along with the painting...see link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross

Dali is one of my fav artists...a few years ago i visited the Dali Museum in Figueres,...mind blowing....see also link

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dali+museum&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iCJFUJPjJMWw0QXlnYHIBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1003&bih=621

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »
Yes, Dali is a lifelong favorite.

And, to tie it all in with antiques, last weekend we went to a sale in Columbia, Missouri (USA) and saw 3 small Dali paintings, signed and all. Only $7K for the set! :))
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »
Bigwull, I had all of those vinyls you mentioned. When I moved back to NJ and went into storage I realized I still had some of them. Tull Thick as a Brick for one, Blue Oyster Cult for another. I also found a copy of the Who - Live at Leeds that still had the copy of their contract in it with all of the other papers.  We used to listen to Firesign Theater and laugh hysterically at the nonsense that made sense to our cannabis influenced brains. In the box was their album "Don't Crush That Dwarf - Hand Me the Pliers.  My wife said "No way are you playing that!"  I said I know that because I would need a turntable. I would not be the same after a Martini anyway.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:50 pm »
"I'm not talking about hate. I'm talking about 8. Dinner at 8. Let's eat!"

-Firesign Theater

"In the Garden of Eden baby"

-Iron Butterfly

"Speedy's Coming"

-Scorpions

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »
Your talking my kind of music...my wife is 12 years my junior...and she was into the 3 cord wonders Status Quo....and Motorhead....but just the other night...she was watching a movie..and in the background the music that could be heard was ina Gada Vida...now she want an Iron Butterfly album....We saw the Scorpions Live in Berlin.during the Live * concert....i lke Krautrock as well..kraftwerk...G olden Earing...Amon Duul....Tangereen Dream..Neu!...all the spaced out music..... ;D..

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »
In the earlier thread concerning the "portable toilet", I was imagining how Keith Moon would have reacted to finding one of those in his room! ::)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »
In the earlier thread concerning the "portable toilet", I was imagining how Keith Moon would have reacted to finding one of those in his room! ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »
Big Motorhead fan, Hawkwind, Amon Duul II, Ash Ra Tempel, Tool, Rush, Yes, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Can, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, love(d) them all!

-Broderick Crawford