Author Topic: Old Religious thing or what?  (Read 10340 times)

malcolm900

• View Profile
Re: Old Religious thing or what?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »
Federico Zeri was a benefactor of the University of Bologna. The original piece of work (photograph) was included in his massive collection which was donated to the university.

La Compagnia Rotografica was the company who is credited with producing this piece, along with many other images of works of art, nudes, etc.

Below is a picture of an advertisement card for the company. Unless you can find the original source of your picture, dating/value is merely a ?? Have you removed the backing to see if there is any information hidden from view?

the back is sealed.

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
Federico Zeri was a benefactor of the University of Bologna. The original piece of work (photograph) was included in his massive collection which was donated to the university.

La Compagnia Rotografica was the company who is credited with producing this piece, along with many other images of works of art, nudes, etc.

Below is a picture of an advertisement card for the company. Unless you can find the original source of your picture, dating/value is merely a ?? Have you removed the backing to see if there is any information hidden from view?

So since that company produced it does it have any real value?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:22 am »
Everything has value....it all depends if this photograph that,s in the frame is an old one...you need to open it up.because as it stands its only a black and white photograph,that might have some value??..You will not be lowering what value it has by opening it...because ,if it is a genuine pic by Federico Zeri....then the frame is secondary....its the pic that will carry the value....but if it is only a 20/30 year old pic, from Rotografica...then it probably won,t have much value...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 03:23:34 am »

The company may have produced the original, but you would need to know the source of yours. I came across work done by them in 1910's and 1920's, yours could be an early copy of theirs or a reproductions done at any time since then. Finding out what yours is printed on would be a start to dating I believe.

So since that company produced it does it have any real value?

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:57 am »
Everything has value....it all depends if this photograph that,s in the frame is an old one...you need to open it up.because as it stands its only a black and white photograph,that might have some value??..You will not be lowering what value it has by opening it...because ,if it is a genuine pic by Federico Zeri....then the frame is secondary....its the pic that will carry the value....but if it is only a 20/30 year old pic, from Rotografica...then it probably won,t have much value...

what is Rotografica?

bbc-antiques.co.uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:41 am »
Adam getting life spark from God
http://www.bbc-antiques.co.uk antiques York NorthYorkshire buy sell art

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 09:25:12 am »
if it an original photograph value could be good,, but copies of a photograph that may have been reprinted many times,, not so much !!  cant tell if it is original till you take it out of the frame !!  back is just a dust cover,,no big deal and no value to the photo neither is the frame !!
come to think of it,,, is there a glass front on this ??

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »
if it an original photograph value could be good,, but copies of a photograph that may have been reprinted many times,, not so much !!  cant tell if it is original till you take it out of the frame !!  back is just a dust cover,,no big deal and no value to the photo neither is the frame !!

theres glass, the back is sealed shut with nailz. old school framing

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 01:35:46 pm »

what is Rotografica?
As Sapphire has already posted...Rotografic a...were the company..that made the original pic...see post above mine.....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »

As I have already said,and now Mart..the pic has to come out of the frame...we can guess all day what it might be worth, but until that pic comes out of that frame...then there might be a production number or a date...you just never no...thats the exciting bit about possible antiques....but until you do that then its just another picture that looks old
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:41:27 pm by bigwull »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »
if you are afraid to take it out yourself,, take it to a frame shop !!  they can remove it and put it back for about $5.00 !!

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »

As I have already said,and now Mart..the pic has to come out of the frame...we can guess all day what it might be worth, but until that pic comes out of that frame...then there might be a production number or a date...you just never no...thats the exciting bit about possible antiques....but until you do that then its just another picture that looks old

OPened it, its a white cardboard like material, a piece of broken glass scratched a part of the painting F***! i feel like smashing it to bits now it looked impecible before, now it is scratched, a white scratch on the top, i cant stop looking at the scratch now.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »
There,s nothing any of us can say ,thats going to make you feel better....and yes your eye will always be drawn to that scratch...now what you have to do is forget about the damage,for the time being....check the back of the pic..for any makers mark...date, anything at all,..you say there was cardboard? does it look modern or old...were the nails old...was the glass 2mm or 3mm thick...modern picture glass is 3mm old glass was normally 2mm......now to the picture....If...and its a big If...was valuable..then it can be repaired...but first we,ve got to ascertain if it has value....

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:11 pm »
There,s nothing any of us can say ,thats going to make you feel better....and yes your eye will always be drawn to that scratch...now what you have to do is forget about the damage,for the time being....check the back of the pic..for any makers mark...date, anything at all,..you say there was cardboard? does it look modern or old...were the nails old...was the glass 2mm or 3mm thick...modern picture glass is 3mm old glass was normally 2mm......now to the picture....If...and its a big If...was valuable..then it can be repaired...but first we,ve got to ascertain if it has value....

it looks like a print on foam... the scratch reveals white... it looks so different tho from any print i have seen before. it looks like special ink or something. Just look a the detail and quality n the pic.

I colored in the scratch with no.2 pencil to calm the electric current in my head.

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »
I cannot find anything similar to it on the net. i really like the piece tho so im deciding to keep it. put it on my wall, if i were to sell it i appraise its value at 5 grand. ;D