Author Topic: Large calendar Sample/cross stitch  (Read 1266 times)

Shannon338

• View Profile
Large calendar Sample/cross stitch
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
We bought our first house from a very elderly lady. When we moved in we found a large framed calendar sampler/cross stitch. I tried to find one online like it, and can not find anything. Was wondering if there was anyone out there who knows anything about these? I would love some info. Thanks.
Shannon

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
Re: Large calendar Sample/cross stitch
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:22:24 pm »
can you maybe post a photo?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:31:36 pm »
Welcome Shannon!  Definitely, we'd love (and need) to see photos.  Samplers can be as individual as the crafter. Originally young girls completed a sampler to show their long honed needlework skills, often incorporating poems/verses, the alphabet, a 'picture' and in many cases their name, age and other personal info. I'm sure there are some here who could help with determining possible age.

I've long regretted letting go of one found in my great aunt's home........it was crafted in the early 1800's by a relative of my great aunt's husband. Only years afterwards did I find out what I had basically given away.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:44:13 am »
If we all had the power of hindsight....we would know what we have...but think of it this way...to whomever you gave it....if they still have it...then it has brought joy to their life...and in getting it from you....means that but for you,this joy would not have been there....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:07:13 am »
yes please,, we need a pic !!