Author Topic: Victorian lyre-back wash stand/vanity  (Read 5891 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Victorian lyre-back wash stand/vanity
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:00 am »
It's 4'3" tall at the towel rack, 3'4" wide and 17" deep. It's in good shape and I advertised it in the classified ads (with photo) for $150 and no one responded. I have now dropped the price to $100 and still no "nibbles". I think it's worth at least $100 - or am I over-estimating it's value?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Victorian lyre-back wash stand/vanity
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:09 am »
I would start by retaking the photo under better lighting conditions. There are so many sun spots that it is impossible to see the condition of the wood. Also hang a couple of nice looking linens or towels over the bar. People kind of don't know what to do with these and it will help to show them how it looks comepleted. Linen "tea towels" or "finger towels" would be ideal, you can get these from antique stores for a few dollars. $100 is a fair asking price in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) if it is in good shape.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:18 am »
I agree exactly with what Tales is saying.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »
looks like your camera lens is dusty !!  that pic does not help its sale !!  try staging it like tales said,, move to a nice spot,, hang some linens or hand towels but just enough to show it off not hide it,, maybe a few pretty wash cloths arranged on top with a pretty soap dispenser !! take that pic, then take everything off and take one !! make sure its clean and not dusty !!  sometimes you have to present things in a way that makes people take notice of them !!  good pics are key to a fast sale !! i would keep the price at $150. then when you knock a few dollars off,, the buyer thinks its a bargain !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
Also make sure the handles are hanging neatly, you want everything to look symmetrical. No electrical cords or other objects around- Try to make it look like a home decor magazine photo.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:40:12 pm »
Here's what I'm talking about. If this photo were just a little lighter and the curtain moved it would be very good. See how it has much more appeal, but it is really not much different than yours. This came from a retail web site where they were asking $375. You need to show buyers how that towel bar was used and that it's not missing a mirror. If you can come up with a basin and pitcher all the better and include it in the sale! (Hint: Try Craigslist and Ebay)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:47:11 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
More examples and ideas:

This is a good one, move one towel to the bar and it would be perfect.

You can even hang a nice hat on it:

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:05:40 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. Too bad I sold the basin and pitcher already.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »
Man! That pitcher in the photo is AWESOME!!  Me likee.... :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:31:42 pm »
look at tales last pic,, the three pretty decanters work just as well !!  i would not put more than two towels on the top and one on the towel bar though !!  that stack hides too much of it !!

ACStanley

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 04:22:56 pm »
hey all,

slightly off topic, generally, where do these basin and pitchers date to? what was their purpose... I come across them all the time at auctions, do they have fair value to them?

And I hate to reiterate this but yes, photos always make a world of difference... I tend to loose sleep over my photos, in trying to figure out lighting and angles... by far one of my biggest worries of my store...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »
Pitchers and Basins....pre running water in houses....i.e. no bathrooms...where do you want to start....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:58:18 pm »
Yep, pitchers and basins were basically plumbing for those that didn't have any. Add in chamber pots for a fuller picture.

These items typically date from the early 19th century, around 1820 or 1830, up to the time that plumbing became the norm in most houses in the early 20th century. Before 1820 it was only the British and American "upper crust" that believed in bathing frequently; it was quite an "avant garde" notion. Most everyone else bathed, at most, once a month, or - more frequently - once a year!  And even then bathing was pretty much confined to the skin that was visible.

*pause to consider this * **shudder**

Not everything was better in the "good old days."

And yes, they do have value. Like anything else, it's relative. A typical pitcher and basin, used back in the day and with a chip or two, will go for $75-$200. A full bathing set, with soap dishes, chamber pots, and even cups for early toothbrushes, can go for many hundreds of dollars, depending on maker and condition.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:01:49 pm by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »
My son just bought a house from the 1820's with no plumbing. No one has lived in the house for nintey years. I'm excited about the privy out back. He also bought the connecting outside which is amazing! It's gutted on the interior. This house has been uninhabited for 50 yrs. It still has the gas lighting in the walls. The house in ,certain areas, was built without nails. The balcony area was built with dowels. They start the house next week. They are restoring it.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:13:30 pm »
My son just bought a house from the 1820's with no plumbing. No one has lived in the house for nintey years. I'm excited about the privy out back. He also bought the connecting outside which is amazing! It's gutted on the interior. This house has been uninhabited for 50 yrs. It still has the gas lighting in the walls. The house in ,certain areas, was built without nails. The balcony area was built with dowels. They start the house next week. They are restoring it.

And you had better be taking day to day video and photos. Plus a nightly recap with highlights! We will be expecting regular updates and delights  ;)