Author Topic: Guess it's time to dust off those old oil lamps  (Read 16375 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Guess it's time to dust off those old oil lamps
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »
That's INSANE!! ::)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »
These huts seem very popular in the UK. Americans are far more obnoxious. http://southshore.idx.prufoxroach.info/details.aspx?firstrecord=0&VIP=REIPrudentialPropertySearch&searchgeo=margatenj&x=23&y=13&propertytype=1%2c2&sort=5&sortacdc=desc&searchtype=2
Congrats to Andy Murray winning the U.S. Open! The Brits finally have a great tennis player. Henmin I didn't like. He was never great!
Nooooooooooo,The  Brits don,t have a great tennis player.....He,s Scottish....first.. ..then he,s a Brit....just like me....welll 50% of me....is Scottish...and the other 50% is a mix of Ukrainian...German. ...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 01:57:09 pm »
That's INSANE!! ::)
Not really....its an English thing....everymans home is his Castle....in this case it just might be a sand castle

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
Don't think these folks asked for waterfrontage .......

Going to be along time cleaning up. :(

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 06:34:18 pm »
OMG! We really haven't heard a lot! Has the Red Cross or anyone been helping? Is there anything we can do?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
OMG! We really haven't heard a lot! Has the Red Cross or anyone been helping? Is there anything we can do?
yes pray for them..and hope it does,nt come your way....

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:50 pm »
They've had Emergency Response teams in place before this even got fully in play....... evacuations were immediate and relief stations stocked and manned. Some communities were totally cut off, but everyone jumped in (literally) and helped out.  

Unfortunately the downpour (think last numbers were around 130 mm - 5+ inches) coincided with high tide from the Bay of Fundy.......which is famous for the highest tides in the world and which in turn flows into the rivers through and around Truro and surrounding areas.

One thing about Maritimers.......we dig in and help out.  

Thanks so much for your concern and offer though.......shows that you don't have to be 'over the backyard fence' to be neighbours. ;)

Wullie, they're about 30-40 min. drive from us and situated lower, in more of a basin. We've had some through our villages as they follow a river, but nothing in comparison.   I was in tears seeing pictures of the race track in Truro. I basically grew up in the barns and trackside there and over the years have spend many contented hours shooting pics of the horses.  It's located in the middle of the worst hit section of the entire area, adjoining a mobile home park that was first to be evacuated. The loss, even temporarily, of the track means financial hardship for hundreds......both directly and for spin off services. It could also, in these times, mean the end of our track altogether.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:15:00 pm by sapphire »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 05:00:00 am »
Here in Missouri we got about 2 inches from Isaac, and the rivers are still low because of the drought. Good thing we don't have the Bay of Funday to contend with!.

"It's a long long way from the Bay of Funday"

-Joni Mitchell
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »
I wonder why they haven't given this more air time. Hopefully things will dry up soon. Did you move all your belongings as high up as possible? Is there an area to make your things safe? It's hard loosing sentimental items.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »
We are going to get the tail end of Hurricane Leslie...tomorrow apparently....judgi ng by the weather now...he/she has already arrived...if its like this tomorrow, i,ll be firing up the woodburner...

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
I wonder why they haven't given this more air time. Hopefully things will dry up soon. Did you move all your belongings as high up as possible? Is there an area to make your things safe? It's hard loosing sentimental items.

greenacres, we didn't get slammed like this. Luckily we're a about half an hour away and on higher ground. Those in our village who live along the river didn't fare as well, but nothing like the town of Truro and surrounding areas got. The road into Truro from here was under water and blocked off for several miles on the Truro end, the other three older roads in/out were also flooded. Only one road off the main highway was accessible and luckily it was the one that led directly to the hospital.

I have friends there and my lifetime stomping ground, the race track...........it's hard to see that kind of devastation to property and belongings. Another good friend lives on the reserve which is mid way between us and Truro. Both access roads there were flooded so they were completely cut off. She is 6 months along with a high risk pregnancy and her hubby drove through the flood road to get her into friend's in Truro so she could reach the hospital if necessary. She took some pictures along the way and it was frightening.

The first picture is their drive out the 'road' on the reserve, the second pic is one of the access roads that leads off the main highway onto the 'old' highway into Truro.......this turn off led down into the 5+ miles of flooded road into town.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »
Geez! That one picture looks like a lake! He must have a good truck.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:44 pm »
Geez! That one picture looks like a lake! He must have a good truck.

Apparently that cop waiting on the other side of the 'lake' (previously open field) was not too impressed with their escape. Guess he was worried he might have to get his feet (and arse) wet.  ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »
You think he would have got them boat! That was dangerous. They could have floated away. Or send someone out there with more b*lls if he was afraid!