Author Topic: Need help identifying a coffee/tea set  (Read 10039 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying a coffee/tea set
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 10:42:47 pm »
Something just isn't settling with me on this....

Limoge is one of the most copied styles because of high demand.

Maybe this will help some....

http://www.ehow.com/how_5437225_identify-french-limoges-porcelain-marks.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 10:52:54 pm »
Are you thinking that this may be a reproduction? If so, does that mean it isn't worth anything?  Would it be worth at least what the gold is worth?
Thanks.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »
It's pretty hard for me to figure too , esp w/o being able to have 'em in my mitts , but the craftsmanship of the medallions on the pieces sure have an asain touch to them , IMO , thru old & tired eyes tonight .

It would be nice to hear the 'ping' of each one .

I would have to say that these are perhaps 'fantasy' items , but do represent a a fancy style that has appeal with many folks .... saying that , items produced to appear as older more valued pieces are all over the markets , so getting fooled by items in which 'we' hope are the real thing is possible .

That's just my jaded guess / 2 cents .

I'd suggest going over a couple of your pieces from your cool little set with a loupe or 10x magnifyer & see what you can see .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 04:01:37 am »
Are you thinking that this may be a reproduction? If so, does that mean it isn't worth anything?  Would it be worth at least what the gold is worth?
Thanks.
Even if it is a Repo,...everything has value...of some sort...its a lovely coffee set....and as i always say in these circumstances...."if its not eating your Corn"....then keep it and enjoy it.....as for its gold,content...this is infinitesimal, its gold leaf...and has no tangible weight...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:25 am »
i know,,,,thing is that bugs me is i don`t see anything that says repro !!  usually its pretty obvious !!  of course we are only looking at pics,, !!  i have looked at every mark i could find and hit -0- !!
the gold value is not worth counting !!  the set is not going to make anyone rich but even repro sets should sell well !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »
It is a nice set.  Just not worth as much as it would be if it was authentic Limoge.  Still nice and I am sure that someone would like to buy it if you are going to sell it.

My goodness bigwull....my sides hurt on that one about If it's not eating your corn!  LOL

That's so true on this site.  If you like it...keep it.  If it gives you happiness then like it for what it is and enjoy it!  And in this case, it is a nice set!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 03:22:36 pm »
did Chris ever take a look at this??  if not,, wish he would !!

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
I would like to get a general consensus on whether or not I should pay for an appraisal.  I recently had twins, my house seems to be getting smaller by the day and we may be PCSing (military) soon so I would like to get rid of this rather than move it for a 6th time.  I just don't want to spend $50-150 on an appraisal if it's worth $100.  Any opinions?

Thank you.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:00 pm »
You can get an online appraisal here from,the BBC..antiques roadshow team...which will cost approx $45, as a matter of interest.what did you pay for it...then weigh the cost against what you,d like for it...then wait for an ebay free listing day....stick it on with a reserve....and if it goes...then it becomes someone else,s worry....

link
http://www.justanswer.com/sip/antiques?r=ppc

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »
I think I paid ~$120.  It was 15 years ago so it's a little fuzzy.  Do you think it would make sense to be into the thing for $165?  Do you think there would be any money left in it?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 04:58:48 pm »
If this set does,nt at least get you your money back,then there is something seriously wrong with this world....and i want to get off it.....but in order to do so i,ll need 6 numbers...and the way we,ve been picking them of late.......i don,t hold out much hope.......

just bear in mind that this very delicate looking Coffee set...needs a lot of wrapping to protect it from a ham fisted removal man...and God forbid,one bit gets broken...because if it does...then its goodnight...$165+.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
look at the thread about the chinese scroll,, wendy posted a link for Christies Auction house appraisal service !! Its free and all you need is really good pics !!  thats who i would recommend !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:11 pm »
Like mart's suggestion for the FREE....I wouldn't invest any more into it with all your impending challenges.

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 09:00:26 pm »
look at the thread about the chinese scroll,, wendy posted a link for Christies Auction house appraisal service !! Its free and all you need is really good pics !!  thats who i would recommend !!

Thanks, Mart!  I will try this out!  :)

FBODYWS6

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »
Does anyone have any other ideas?  I tried Christie's auction house and they were not able to (or would not) evaluate it.  They did not say why.  I guess I really just want to know who the maker is and the name of the pattern on the coffee set.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
FBodyWS6