Author Topic: Help, Chinese experts? chinese Bowl... Cant figure out if this is new or old?  (Read 1901 times)

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
I was at a garage sale and saw this bowl. It looks old but looks can be deceiving. Any ideas? Age? Cost? How would I describe this bowl?

Help Chinese experts???

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
sorry forgot to the add pictures...

mart

• View Profile
can we get a better shot of that bottom  ??

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
yep hope this helps ...

meeple

• View Profile
Most chinese "antiques" are clever replicas...

The characters are 有由浇 I beleive... though it could be 有田浇... but it makes less sense...

It means "poured" or "cast" but I don't know if thats a makers mark or just a descriptive term like we would mark "tin over brass" in english...

The picture of the white flower on the inside is a lotus... very common figure in chinese culture...

I'm not even close to knowledgeable about chinese porcelain... but yours doesn't seem to indicate a lot of age other than the style... there's no visible crackling, no discoloration... so if I had to guess its probably a fairly recent reproduction...

mart

• View Profile
http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.html

i don`t think this one is older than 50`s and more likely later than that !!  nothing to indicate great age !! style looks more typical of an import shop !! the site above may help tell you things to look for in antique Chinese porcelain/ pottery !!  It only deals with 1930 and before but many things in the reproduction and fakes sections will help you identify old from new !!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:44:03 pm by mart »

ethanjones

• View Profile
    • Antique Sydney
I don't think so that it is much older than 50's or 60's. As there many Chinese bowls which looks same, are available in the market. But If you still have a doubt than you can check it online as well as in the Chinese market.