Author Topic: Crystal or Depression Glass?  (Read 3605 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Crystal or Depression Glass?
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
Hi everyone,

Recently I was given the opportunity to collect many antiques from an estate.  I have this beautiful Footed Fruit Bowl that I can not determine the maker.  I've done the crystal test, ie, listen for the chime when tap and it sing out loud and clear.  It measures 8 1/2" high and 7" wide and weighs approx. 5 lbs.  Beautiful piece clear with a tint of green from certain angels.  I need expert help please!  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Photo to follow. 

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Crystal or Depression Glass?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:22:04 am »
I do not believe your piece is Dep glass / crystal would need a hands on inspection but I do not think it is.  I think you have a wonderful trifle bowl http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-8-Sierra-Trifle-Bowl-The-Toscany-Collection-W-Box-Made-In-USA-/230850059293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bfbc5c1d   :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:28:21 am »
 it is a trifle dish/bowl for a layered dessert cake/pudding/fruit ect !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:30:26 am »
I agree. It looks a lot like Heisey glass. It is a trifle bowl I believe also. Look to see if there is not a faint diamond shaped mark on the center of the foot or the inside of the bowl. It could be very hard to see unless turned the right way. By the way I could use one of those "angels" to bring a little "green" to me.

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
Lots of Luv!! You guys are GREAT!  Thank you for the replies.  frogpatch...Yes, the angel has been very, very, good to me!  I will look and examine closely for the diamond shape.  I did however check with Ultraviolet light (no glow) so I was able to rule out Mayonnaise Glass.  Wendy177...thanks for link.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:48:36 am »
Mayonnaise glass???????   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:32 am »
never heard of that one either,, Wendy !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:52 am »
HaHa!!  HeeHee! LOL!!  My Bad!  I guess I was thinking about food.  I Meant VASELINE GlASS....How embarrassing....I really did say Mayonnaise Glass!  OMG!  I am having one of those days. LOL!...Well at least I can say I made you laugh! :D :D :D :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
LOL  Go eat lunch !! Everyone thinks better on a full stomach !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:45:18 am »
Darn Dante thought I was gonna learn somethin new  :D !  Why would you check this piece with black light??

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59:34 am »
Wendy177.....The fool proof way of identifying VASELINE GLASS is to use the light because the glass will glow due to the uranium and other components which makes up the Vaseline Glass....

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »
Was Vaseline glass ALWAYS produced using uranium oxides?  I know that I have read that some, but not all, depression glass was created using uranium oxides, but I am not sure if one of the characteristics of all vaseline glass is that particular component.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
That piece just doesn't look Heisey to me.   ::) ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »
not sure,, Wendy would know better than I,, but i think it depends on the color if it was or was not used !!  Never heard of a pink or blue that glowed but thats not to say there wasn`t one !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »
Cogar.....The Ebay link that Wendy177 posted is the exact bowl.  A Sierra Trifle Bowl..."The Toscany Collection"...Thanks for your input.  I hope you enjoyed the LAUGH!! :D

Kimmenemo....The vaseline glass and uranium glass may be one in the same.  I found this quote under the Wikipedia for Uranium glass    "The most typical colour of uranium glass is pale yellowish-green, which in the 1920s led to the nickname vaseline glass based on a perceived resemblance to the appearance of petroleum jelly as formulated and commercially sold at that time. Specialized collectors still define "vaseline glass" as transparent or semitransparent uranium glass in this specific colour.".  Thanks for your reply.