Author Topic: information on large bronze please.  (Read 10346 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: information on large bronze please.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:50 pm »
I have some French bronze pieces that do not have foundry marks on them either...and they are worth a bit!

Where are you from that you use the term "chuffed"?  Had to look it up!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

meeple

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »
oz? nz?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »
I vote to go get a hands on inspection!!!  I really like it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacqueline

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 02:51:13 am »
Hello again. chuffed means very happy. im a yorkshire lass and live in halifax. west yorkshire. england. Mart i am so daft yes  i missed the paris bit. it Reads EMILE ANDRE BOISSEAU PARIS 1879. i have taken close up pics for you.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 03:00:44 am »
I vote to go get a hands on inspection!!!  I really like it!
Its the original Halifax not the other one....so if you,are wanting a hands on...you,d better pack your bags....and as the song goes..."i,m leaving on a Jet plane" :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jacqueline

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 04:29:15 am »
Hi bigwull. yes Halifax england. not australia. The weight i told you was wrong. i set my scales wrong. iv weighed it again in the light. lol. it weighs 14lb. 7oz. i am going to take it along to an auction house near me tomorrow to have it looked at. i will post and let you all know. i will not get my hopes up. by the way i paid £40.00 sterling for it. iv just noticed the other copy that iv seen with the guilding on. the bases are different. still frustrated that i cant find any info on this chappie. only auction house sales.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:00 am »
Hi Jacqueline,
at 7kg,this now makes me believe that it is hollow,but being hollow does not diminish its value..this type of casting is the norm...and at £40...you got yourself a really good bargain...either way....it has a nice patina,...when you take it along to your local auctioneers,may i suggest you go here
Caldervalley Auctioneers..they specialize in Antiques & fine Art...you can find them here

Fairlea Mill
Ellenholme Road, Luddenden Foot, Halifax

01422 886 648

good luck

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:40 am »
I have some French bronze pieces that do not have foundry marks on them either...and they are worth a bit!

Where are you from that you use the term "chuffed"?  Had to look it up!  :)
...Yes KC..its a very commonly used word in the UK....e.g. chuffed to bits..or "well chuffed".another is "over the moon",and up here in Scotland..."i feel like doing cat ma,s doon the road.".....i,ll let you ponder on that saying.... ;D

jacqueline

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:50 am »
Hi bigwill. guess where iv just been. By ek your good i was going to go miles away to harrowgate. i phoned them up he said bring it down. its only down the road from me. as soon as he saw it and held it. he said its definatley a solid bronze. he looked it over. looked at the name and date he said to be of the period matching the date.  i told him all the info iv done and found on the net. he got all his books out. said with him being an auctioneer he could get more info than me. he had a look and came back with the only copy that i could find of the guilded bronze with the different base. i then told him it was the same as i had found that the base and guilding was not my bronze. his face looked puzzled as he kept examinig it. i asked him why couldent i find one like mine ?. he couldent answer me and whent on the net again. he said he would put it in his sale for. £150-200 pound. and gave me the option of having somebody else look it over.  i thanked him for looking at it for me and said i would think about it. now im woundering what to do next. my heads in over drive

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
The real questions are....Do you like it and want to keep it?  OR  Did you buy it for resale?

I would get a second opinion if possible!!!!

Jacqueline, I like the word chuff.  Being southern and living in Texas it doesn't sound as exotic/authentic as with a "across the pond" accent!  LOL  I try some of the sayings out with my kids that bigwull exposes us to and they believe I have lost my marbles!  Which is most likely true...but it is fun!

As for the last one in your paragraph bigwull....NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE.  And with your previous posts...were you meaning a cat and mouse or cat and moose?  LOL
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:22:41 am by KC »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »
KC, the definition of a catma...well, you,ll never find it on the net,as it does,nt exist as a written word.but what it means to me is,...when i was child growing up in Dundee in the fifties...we made our own games..and we had sayings that were said when you were happy or you had some good fortune...and "doing catma,s doon the road means,..to run forward then lower the top half of your body,then tuck yer bonce in and do a forward roll, and keep repeating until you either run out of road or end up  hitting something because when you were rolling..you can,t watch where you were going.... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
Hi bigwill. guess where iv just been. By ek your good i was going to go miles away to harrowgate. i phoned them up he said bring it down. its only down the road from me. as soon as he saw it and held it. he said its definatley a solid bronze. he looked it over. looked at the name and date he said to be of the period matching the date.  i told him all the info iv done and found on the net. he got all his books out. said with him being an auctioneer he could get more info than me. he had a look and came back with the only copy that i could find of the guilded bronze with the different base. i then told him it was the same as i had found that the base and guilding was not my bronze. his face looked puzzled as he kept examinig it. i asked him why couldent i find one like mine ?. he couldent answer me and whent on the net again. he said he would put it in his sale for. £150-200 pound. and gave me the option of having somebody else look it over.  i thanked him for looking at it for me and said i would think about it. now im woundering what to do next. my heads in over drive
maybe the reason he, or you, or us, can,t find one like yours...is because there is,nt one....you,ve got it,,,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:53 pm »
There is of course another possibility,...that yours was gilded, but the gilding has been removed....or it was to be gilded but...was,nt...what you should try and find out,is the height of the gilded one including the marble base..then compare it to yours,and if yours is smaller by the mere fact that it does,nt have a marble plinth...then it is reasonably safe to assume,that yours is the same as the gilded one...now to value...like KC says...do you like it enough to keep it...the early indications are....its sale is not going to give you enough to.make you ..tell your boss....your leaving...only 6 numbers can make you do that...or did you buy it with the thought of oo er...ba gum! i can make a shilling or two off this...
me personally, i,d keep it...then long after you,d popped yer clogs...your  grandchildrens children could relate the story of how there great great granny Jackie...found this in a charity shop....and by that time..it,ll have grown arms & legs, and the odd tentacle....and be worth a fortune.... :D :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »
If possible,, get that second opinion !! Then if both are in the same ballpark you can figure that is about its estimated price !! From what i saw of his other bronzes,, sounds about right !! Course at auction,, could go higher or lower !! Then you have to figure the auctions commission !!  so check the figures !! you might offer it yourself and come out better or try ebay !! fees are way less than auction !!

jacqueline

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
Hello. you do make me laugh reading your thoughts on english phasers and sayings. mine at the moment is. do one. Or. jog on. This i would use if i dint like or whant to talk to that person. or who i think is an idiot. i am 44 years old and talk with a broad yorkshire accent and still say a lot of old sayings. some of the younger genaration i work with find it hard to understand what the ek im ona about. if i go 20 mile away from where i live i will hear a different accent there are so many. in county duram. a nice girl would be a. canni lass.  i could go on and on some of them are very funny. my dads scotch and i stuggle to understand him best of time. by when hes had a few to manny whiskeys you no chance. he talks a load of dribble. do a goole search on yorshire slang words it will make you giggle. and then you have people from londen. they have the most bonkers phases of all. you need to read them. keep you amuzed for a while. answering your questions about the bronze. yes i did see it in the charity shop as selling it on. but i took it home and stood it on a table next to my oppen fire with a large lamp hovering over it. it looked amazing. the more i looked at it. the more reluctant i was. then i did all my searches on the net and to my frustration still cant find the original. my partner knows his antiques as he used to have a shop. he collects clarice cliff. and knows nawt about bronzes. but hes always told me if you ever find owt do a search and if you dont find out then think about how hard it is to buy that item. if theres nothink on the net than its summat special. and rare. if you do find your item then its 10 a penny. and this is why im like a dog with a bone. becouse i cant find it. the only one i did was stated as AFTER. as was guilded with a different base. i wont settle till i find a bronze expert. when an auction house dealer isnt sure. then surley alarm bells start ringing ?.  so now im trying to find that pearson. if it was only valued like the chappi said £150-200. then i would rather keep it becouse all the searching iv done on this artist and his work on the net hasent come up trumps. then i know i will have to pay a bit more.