Author Topic: porcelain lamp?  (Read 1799 times)

jodiejean

• View Profile
porcelain lamp?
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »
Hi, I am trying to find out some info on this lamp. It was given to me by a lady in her 80's and she says she remembers it when she was a child in her mother's home. it has gold gilding on the arms ,around the picture and on the base.In the picture there are two women sitting on the grass and a man playing a guitar(??) . I dont see any makers marks, the bottom of the lamp is felt. there is no cord/plug on the lamp, but the lightbulb socket,harp, and an old lampshade are intact (maybe original shade?). It is green with with white marbled through it.It is 36 cm in height .

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: porcelain lamp?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:57:05 pm »
The man playing a guitar...is actually a Minstrel..playing a Lute,....we need to see whats under the felt..because as this has not had a hole drilled in it...unlike so many other items that have been made into lamps...makes me believe that there is a makers mark on it

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »
Here, those lamps generally fall into the generic classification of the "George and Martha" style. The name comes from the figures bearing a distant resemblance to our first president and his wife. In reality, most of the scenes are from the French court and the paintings of artist Jean- Honoré Fragonard (1732-1806).
The lamps probably date back to about 1940 and were decorated with a tiny amount of real gold.

Somebody else will hopefully be able to tell you more.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
It is an actual lamp. There were scads of them produced pre-1950 with different pictures, as well as different pottery pieces.

If you search Google "images" for - George and Martha Washington lamps .... you will find all kinds of such items

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
AH SO, Rauville posted while I was composing my post.  ;D ;D

jodiejean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information. They do look like the "George and Martha" style, I thought it looked french as well....so now it all makes sense lol.. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »
I have a similar pair in my garage waiting on rewiring !!  Its simple to do,, rewire yours and use it !!

jodiejean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:25 am »
Good idea!