Author Topic: Iphone app for identifying antiques  (Read 7827 times)

henrikbohman

• View Profile
Iphone app for identifying antiques
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:08 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm working on on a smartphone application (aka. iPhone app) that makes it really easy to post and answer photo based questions.

Despite collecting some ceramics myself I'm not an antiques expert :-[, however I'm thinking that this app would be great for identifying antiques (as these questions often include photos) but I would love to hear your views on it! The app isn't finished yet but to explain and demonstrate the idea I've put up a dummy explanation here that you can have a look at: http://www.moracle.co/example/

Do you have any general feedback or comments?

Would you use it? Why or why not?

Is there any specific features that you would like to have? (anything goes!  :o)

Do you think you could use it for other things than antiques?

Thanks in advance!

Henrik Bohman

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Iphone app for identifying antiques
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:05 am »
No good for me...i can,t even send a text with my black & white mobile....old dog..new tricks syndrome...i,m just one step above twa tin cans and a bit o, string.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

henrikbohman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:15 pm »
thanks for your feedback! wasn't that long ago that I was there with you! (hint hint, if you've got nothing to do on friday you can always stand in line for the iphone 5 :D )

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »
I am one step below Bigwull !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:35:18 pm »
Sorry , no help here either , henrikbohman .

I was a 'PIC' (person in charge) for many many years & on-call 24/7 , 365 .
I am most happy to have no cell phones , beepers &/or any such (except for vhf & uhf 2-ways) for getting in touch with me nowadays , in my semi-retirement .
E-mail , a CQ , a knock on my door or land-line for me !
I use the money that an average Joe would pay for such services (cell phone , that is) & donate it to what I consider worthy charitable endeavors .... and I've never had a 'dropped call/out of range' on those !

As far as pics go , they are some help , but it's easier to fool me with an image of an item v/s having it in my hands (many others I know feel the same) !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:40:21 pm »
It might be helpful for some of the new arrivals here !!  After 30 or 40 years if I don`t know what it is,, I don`t buy it !!

henrikbohman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »

I use the money that an average Joe would pay for such services (cell phone , that is) & donate it to what I consider worthy charitable endeavors .... and I've never had a 'dropped call/out of range' on those !

Sure sounds like the right thing to do, bravo!

And thanks for your feedback guys, I appreciate it, it's very helpful to hear your view on things.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
henrikbohman, if there was such an app I think it would be used eventually.  However, like we advise someone getting into collecting...zero in on a particular area of interest (ex: farm tools, pottery of particular makers, etc.)  The big names (Kovels, etc) even have such a vast site that it is too much even for an app...and changes all the time.

Apps are more for the younger generation...and eventually they will become more interested in the older generation /items enough to justify an app.  My eldest works for a studio and is meeting with Sony as we speak on an app that he is working on for them...time...and $$$$.  You would have to have lotsa' bucks to offer it for free...or sell it for big bucks to justify the cost!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:42:29 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
You know,, if I were doing something like that,,I would create the app for todays collectables !! Like the transformer toys.. 70`s stuff ect !! 

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:01:39 pm »
First let me start out saying that everything I've written below is what *I Think*. :)

I think it's doable, never did like any naysayers I ever worked with. Although, I think you would have to get it right the first time around which may be a little more complex than you think at this stage of the game.

There are social media hurdles and issues out there like hackers, spam, etc... that may also hinder your progress and efforts if not mapped out, addressed and metrics properly from the beginning.

Your initial efforts and strategies may include data base access with references to a subset of software recognizable images with descriptions and definitions that are commonly looked up to display to a user and asking the user if this is what they are looking for before posting to a social media users group for that given topic.

You may have to run your own network database servers (I call them scrapers) like the big search engines do to update your databases with images and image definitions for specific topic databases (I have no idea of the legality of all this and I don't understand how other big companies can get away with it).

Your software may also include random generated text/words/numbers verification for a poster to enter before submitting to a particular feed or group to battle off the spammers and hackers so these false postings don't go to the specific topic group.

Now there is already a lot of image recognition software out there available in apps but what you're tying together is a user group or social media group aspect to it (the image part of it) in a by topic level it sounds like. It's doable and it can work if filtered, managed and resourced correctly I think.

And yes, in a way all this is already being done without a front end app like it's done on this site and thousands of others. I say go for it, it can work if carefully crafted and managed. Of course there are many other facets to this which I haven't even mentioned or given much thought to at the moment.

Now the question comes would I use it? I might use it if it worked at the image definition level then if I needed to pursue the image level further be given an option to forward the images and question to a users/social media group for that topic.

There are some issues here though, when you're dealing with a general topic like antiques (there's a lot of things out there!) it would be so vast your resources for a local in house image database may be limited locally. And of course there would be a lot of topic levels that would have to be grouped or sorted out.

Can it be used for other things other than antiques? Of course, I think there are already apps out there for a lot of images such as trees, flowers, vegetables, etc... Then you could expand the image recognition software aspect of the app to a specific user/social media group.

You could even create new software for other web forums for certain topics to embed into there own app or web site to allow some of these topic questions to come into there web site into a certain area of it to help create new members for there own site! The possibilities are endless I'm sure. I'm a sayer, not a naysayer, anything is doable!

Good Luck!

Kevin

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Narrow the app down to a more specific area, and make it for the Android as well and you may be onto something.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:42 am »
Being The Devil's Advocate, I have but one question.

If one has an I-phone (or equivalent), do they not also have access to Google? (I don't know, I don't own or have use of an I-phone, therefore I am "I-phone ignorant")

Anyway, if so, the I-phone has access to Google (or other search engines), ..... maybe your proposed APP should be:

1. Search engine selectable

2. a "key-word" driven "short-cut" directly to the "target" database

3. "key-word" entry or "key-word" menu selectable

4. a "just-taken-photo" driven "short-cut" directly to the "target" database

5. "target" data upload-selectable (descriptions, prices, photo, etc.)

Cheers,
The Old Computer Dinosaur

Nickdiamondz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:22 pm »
Hello Henrik, it looks like my response may be late in the game here but I would most certainly use this app on a daily basis. There are now apps out there that are similar to what you are speaking of so I'm not sure if you have completed this and have it in beta or even released to public yet. Don't listen to all of the naysayers out there, anything can be done when you put your time, mind and heart into it. I personally know quite a few people that would get your app. Sometimes names are worn on antiques/vintage items, sometimes I get huge lots of items and there are usually a few things in it that I have no clue how to create my description when reselling. I am of the "younger generation" I suppose you could say. 37 years old but have been in the business of buying and reselling not only antiques but a wide variety of items now for 12+ years. I am very interested in the status of your project, I have a huge amount of photos that I could pass along for you to include in your database. And I would be willing to help in anyway possible. The Kovels yearly antique books are good, but can be extremely difficult to use if you do not have all of the information pertaining to the products. They do not include many photos which therefor leaves you to basically guess on the exact item you are trying to identify and get an average selling/asking price for. Would your app be able to link up with ebay or some of the other reselling sites out there? You could include a defined field that would generate a current average Low and average High selling price depending upon the conditions of items. In any case, I am extremely interested to see how far along you are with this process and am always available to give any input necessary. Best wishes to you.

Nick Nelson

Hi everyone,

I'm working on on a smartphone application (aka. iPhone app) that makes it really easy to post and answer photo based questions.

Despite collecting some ceramics myself I'm not an antiques expert :-[, however I'm thinking that this app would be great for identifying antiques (as these questions often include photos) but I would love to hear your views on it! The app isn't finished yet but to explain and demonstrate the idea I've put up a dummy explanation here that you can have a look at: http://www.moracle.co/example/

Do you have any general feedback or comments?

Would you use it? Why or why not?

Is there any specific features that you would like to have? (anything goes!  :o)

Do you think you could use it for other things than antiques?

Thanks in advance!

Henrik Bohman

thecatjh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
sorry for the long winded reply but.....

I would defo use it ......

;) ;) ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:09:49 pm »
sorry for the long winded reply but.....

I would defo use it ......

;) ;) ;)

What long winded reply ??  Did I miss it ??  This person (henrickbohman) has not been back here as far as I know !!  Many times people post here and we never hear from them again !!  Not sure why,, we do not bite !!