Author Topic: Trying to athenticate if this is made by Gibbard or not.  (Read 1281 times)

Acey_McFlop

Trying to athenticate if this is made by Gibbard or not.
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
Hey folks, I'm new to this forum, but not to furniture.

The short version is : I think it 1940's Art deco with the waterfall design... but the hiboy and the stool with the vanity are the only pieces are marked with the Gibbard emblem.
To the best of my knowledge, research, and the gibbard website they've made something like this...
 I bought it from someone who says its 70 years old and from Quebec... Gibbard being from Napanee, Ont. it raised my suspicions.

Lastly, the gibbard emblem on the hiboy is inside the top drawer, but the other is on the bottom of the stool.

ANY and all input as to make and/or value would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I should add that all pieces are serpentine from top to bottom. I'll add a pic of the joints as well.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to athenticate if this is made by Gibbard or not.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »
1930's - 40's waterfall (what we call today 'waterfall' or 'art deco style' was coined around 1960.  Prior to that it was called ' art moderne'.)

Gibbard did use a network of "approved distributors"....so it is possible it wasn't purchased from the plant itself!

Best bet, send an email to the company with pictures!  http://www.gibbardfurniture.ca/contact.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:20:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Acey_McFlop

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
Thanks KC.  E-mail sent... Not really holding my breath for a response, but I guess you never know.
Still open for other's opinions  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »
What did you need to know ??  Value wise,, it appears to have a beveled mirror and that helps and appears in good condition,, would likely bring around $200. to $250. in most areas !!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:12:42 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »
I think he wants reassurance that it is indeed the genuine article...and not a fake...and what value it has...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Acey_McFlop

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:05 pm »
I think he wants reassurance that it is indeed the genuine article...and not a fake...and what value it has...

Exactly.  Thanks for the help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »
As far as I know,, no one is faking any of this style !! Its hard enough to sell as it is !! Even though Gibbard seems to have made quality furniture,, I saw no big money in what was offered for sale !!