Author Topic: photographing shiny items  (Read 1544 times)

debodun

• View Profile
photographing shiny items
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:59 am »
How can one take photographs of reflective items such as glass and pictures with glass over them without getting reflections or glare from the camera flash? (see photo for some problem items)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: photographing shiny items
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:39:23 am »
try asking on a photography forum....because i don,t have a clue...i use a point and shoot...set to auto and hope for the best....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Take the painting outdoors in sunlight and then move it around until you get a good result. You should also have the option to turn off the flash on your camera.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »
Try muting your flash with a Keenix taped over it. You might have to experiment to see how many layers work the best.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
Turn the flash off and take pic in bright natural light.  Like said previously, move until there isn't any real glare to take the pic.

Also, when taking a pic it is easier to take a pic with slightly dirty glass.  Freshly cleaned glass glares alot!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:31 am »
without getting reflections or glare from the camera flash?

Never take a picture "straight on" with a flash. Or with the source of the light directly behind you.

Light reflections are like a bouncing ball. They will bounce (reflect) off the object at the same but opposite angle that they strike the object. Rouded objects are especially hard to photograph. So is glassware. That is because, no matter how you position the the glassware, parts or portions of it will always be at that critical angle that will reflect the light straight at the camera lense.

Fluorescent or natural light works best because they are diffused enough that they don't produce that high intensity reflection.

I take a lot of my pictures outside, on the table, underneath my covered porch or on the kitchen floor underneath the fluorescent lights. Also on the table near the glass patio doors where there is plenty of natural llight.   

But you still have to be careful because if your eyes can see a reflection ....... so can your camera's lense.