Author Topic: Is this a "mission" bookcase?  (Read 5051 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Is this a "mission" bookcase?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
I have a person bugging me to sell this bookcase to her. She says it's "mission". It's 42" tall and sturdy, but the varnish is not in really good condition. I was looking for a confirmation on it's being mission, maybe what kind of wood it is, and if $200 would be a reasonable price to ask for it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a "mission" bookcase?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:41 am »
There are many "Mission" book cases on the market..and this one looks like one.....with prices ranging from $70....to $4000....but before you start seeing $$ signs ...check out the link.......now whilst i do understand yours is older....it does not make it better...or more expensive...its a buyers market....and you have to pitch it at a price that,will attract  buyers

see link...
http://www.enterplayment.com/mission-4tier-shelf-p-1636405.html?currency=GBP
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:15:53 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:21:46 am »
That modern one translates to just under $120 in US money.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
That modern one translates to just under $120 in US money.
I know...and this is what you are up against....does someone pay you $200 for one that needs stripped sanded...then varnished...or one straight off the shelf...the older one,s may have a following...i don,t know...its not my cup of tea....for in a house....but it would,nt look out of place in my garage....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
My understanding of "Mission," with it's positive overtones in the antique world denoting craftsmanship and materials, is that it is something from the first half of the 20th century, usually using quarter-sawn or at least solid oak, with strong, simple lines and built to last for centuries.

I do not get any of that from this photograph. This seller is using the term very loosely, in the same way that people throw around the term "antique," not knowing or caring that it should be used with care, to define objects within certain parameters.

"Mission style" or "Mission influenced" might be better terms. Like Wull said, I would see it in my garage or basement long before I'd allow it upstairs. 
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:49 pm »
Have you looked under the bottom of the shelves or bottom for possibly a makers name ?? And is the lady that wants it a collector ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »
My understanding of "Mission," with it's positive overtones in the antique world denoting craftsmanship and materials, is that it is something from the first half of the 20th century, usually using quarter-sawn or at least solid oak, with strong, simple lines and built to last for centuries.

I do not get any of that from this photograph. This seller is using the term very loosely, in the same way that people throw around the term "antique," not knowing or caring that it should be used with care, to define objects within certain parameters.

"Mission style" or "Mission influenced" might be better terms. Like Wull said, I would see it in my garage or basement long before I'd allow it upstairs. 
i,ve actually broken up better than this,for firewood.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »
I think its a cute little bookshelf,, of course I am partial to Craftsman style !!  If you want to sell it and it doesn`t have a Mfrs name,, $200. would be a fair price if its in good condition and all it needs is new varnish !! That would be simple to do with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool to remove the old and apply a new coat !! But let the buyer do that !! I can see this shelf in a craftsman style bungalow !! Would look great !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 04:14:44 pm »
I think its a cute little bookshelf,, of course I am partial to Craftsman style !!  If you want to sell it and it doesn`t have a Mfrs name,, $200. would be a fair price if its in good condition and all it needs is new varnish !! That would be simple to do with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool to remove the old and apply a new coat !! But let the buyer do that !! I can see this shelf in a craftsman style bungalow !! Would look great !!
I seem to remember you saying a few weeks ago that you were,nt telepathic....or something along those lines,.... ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
I'm glad this bookcase has found a fan with Mart.

$200 seems WAY overpriced! :o
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
Craftsman style is quite popular generally and is one of my favorites !! I love anything in oak !!  The clean classic lines goes well with todays minimalist fans !!   You might be surprised !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »
I,ve got a bloody big Oak tree at the back of my house,that blocks out what little sun we,ve had this year...you,re welcome to it.... :D...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »
There we go again,, shipping is too high !! LOL

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »
There we go again,, shipping is too high !! LOL
Thats ok..I know a shipwright and i,m friendly with my local sawmill....we can build you a boat.... :D...mind you its a bloody long way...to Texas...tell you what...why don,t i send you just a little piece of it........would a small bag of Acorns do....then you can have a few Oaks in your back garden LOL!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
Could I return that favor and send you some Texas acorns ??  I have plenty to share !!