Author Topic: Pre-Historic Ax  (Read 8770 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Historic Ax
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:07 am »
On the tube...please enlighten us.... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:17 am »
Greenacres, I personally would call yours a “stone hammer” rather than an axe …. simply because I really don’t think it is very old, antiquity wise that is.

Native Americans had been using flint and/or obsidian for several thousand of years and it was used for making arrowheads, spear points, knives and axes because of the extremely sharp edge that could be napped (flaked off) on them.  Flint shards are used in some present day surgeries because they are “sharper” than the sharpest surgical tool that is factory made.

Here is a picture of my 5 ½” stone axe head …. and I am calling it an axe simply because it actually has a “beveled” cutting edge. But its cutting edge is no where close to being as sharp as the cutting edges on my 6 ½” knife or spear point pictured above it.

I have no idea where the axe head came from because I got in a “box lot” at an auction, thus I assume it was found somewhere in central WV. My father had a white/cream colored flint axe head that he found somewhere locally. It was about 4 ¼” b y 3” in size.

I found my spear point in Herkimer Cty., Upstate New York, and it was appraised to be around 10,000 years old by an Archaeology Professor at the local college. A true Paleolithic tool.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »
My ex and I used to collect artifacts and at time of our divorce had over 1000 perfect points, several like greenacres and a trashcan full of broken points plus a multitude of scrapers and other items !!  Most all came from the Sulphur River and a large campsite close to it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:53:05 pm »
No, I didn't make the tube, lol But, It's really a lot of fun. Standing in line to get in you get to see what other people bring. I would love to go again. I won't pay $150.00 a ticket though. I got spoiled going for free!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »
No, I didn't make the tube, lol But, It's really a lot of fun. Standing in line to get in you get to see what other people bring. I would love to go again. I won't pay $150.00 a ticket though. I got spoiled going for free!
Drat!.....and here was me thinking.....Greena cre,s on Youtube!!..... ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »
I'll have to bring something better next time. I always felt it was from the Absecon Indians. Antique Roadshow gave me the wrong info. Do you believe it!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:46 pm »
greenacres, the better name would be "native American axe" given it was found in NJ.

It could be anywhere from 1,000 to 13,000+ years old.

HA, if it was pre-historic ....... then it wouldn't exist.

They really can't "date" stone or flint, they assign a date to it depending on it's "shape" and/or where it was found. See link below:

Grooved, Ground Stone Axehead, Eastern Woodlands cultures, Woodland Period (800 BCE-1000 CE), Stone (Granite?),
http://art.missouristate.edu/arthist/exhibit1.php?E=1&P=36
...how can you say if it was prehistoric..it would,nt exist...of course it would exist....prehistori c only means ...that it was before a recorded time....then you go on to say...that they can,t really date stone or flint......but go on to say that your piece was dated by an expert.....bit of a contradiction.....d on,t you think...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 03:07:59 pm »
I'll have to bring something better next time. I always felt it was from the Absecon Indians. Antique Roadshow gave me the wrong info. Do you believe it!
Personally speaking I don,t think they did give you the wrong info....you found this hammer head on land that was previously inhabited by Absecon Indians....so it stands to reason that  it is an Absecon tool.......there is nothing to suggest that an indian from a different tribe came along one day and lost his hammer...and eons later it was found by you,.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »
Thats correct Bigwull and most likely it is,, but they also traded many things with those from other areas !! I found a few black obsidian points which is not found here !! These items were also used as money !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 04:43:23 pm »
I fully understand that Mart,....but as it stands..there is no conflicting evidence to suggest that this hammer head,is anything but an Absecon piece....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 05:09:05 pm »
I've been reading about Absecon. The tribe was called "Absegami". There were other tribes there too. Not much is written about them on the internet. I'm seeing other tribes used similar tools.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »
Not disagreeing,, just adding to the thread !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »
Found this picture. Just to let you know mine ax is 10in. long.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
You could always make a handle for your cool little tool , greenacres ... it is in/near hunting season all around the country .... I'm betting that you could easily score some deer sinew/gut for attaching it to a nice 'found' stick & create a nice 'authentic-style-to-to-era' display ...

So .... now that this antique item has got some history ... could it be considered post-historic ?

:-X
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "