Author Topic: Letter Opener?  (Read 2523 times)

Dedie

• View Profile
Letter Opener?
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
We also received this sword in a case that appears to be a letter opener. It has no writing or logo to even give me a clue. The case the blade slides into looks like maybe alabaster or some kind of a bony material (sounds weird I know, but the best I could come up with) that maybe someone could help me identify. Any information regarding this sword would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again everyone!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Letter Opener?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:33 am »
It looks like some kind of dagger.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:12 am »
Just google miniature samurai sword letter opener !!  May have had a stand at one time !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:39 am »
Agree with Mart, that's what it is.  I brought two back from Korea I bought while stationed there several years ago.  Spitting image of yours except yours is a more expensive version, in that the handle is more ornate and the scabbard on mine was hard pressed paper.  I gave one of mine away to a young lady I was "seeing" and she's gone and the samurai sword is also.  I still have one somewhere in all this clutter.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:41:23 pm »
Although this is almost always called a Samurai sword...its proper name is Katana....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »
I thought katana was a straight blade ??? I am not a knife person well,, except my own !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:13 am »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:34 am »
But for the Ultimate Katana...it has to be this one......This was my first big bike...1100 cc...128bhp...it was obviously a Japanese bike...but it was designed by a German...the one I had,..had many engine mods....and at 8000,rpm,...it produced 128bhp and could do 142mph flat out....for its day..it was the fastest bike....which was 1981/2...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=katana&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PXlhUKT3HMeP0AXDkYDYAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=675

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:57:59 pm »
Bigwull - that would be some bike, wish I could have ridden it.  Here's a pic of my pride and joy (ex- pride and joy) a 1974 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV three cylinder two stroke.  It was rated at 127 mph calculated speed.  I was tempted to see if it really would but self preservation took over. I bought it at an auction, it had been in indoor storage for 17 years and had only 19,000 miles on it. A real screamer.  I sold it on Ebay a year ago last November and a man in the Bordeaux region of France bought it and sent a truck to pick it up. Ever hear of sellers remorse?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 03:27:04 pm »
Bigwull - that would be some bike, wish I could have ridden it.  Here's a pic of my pride and joy (ex- pride and joy) a 1974 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV three cylinder two stroke.  It was rated at 127 mph calculated speed.  I was tempted to see if it really would but self preservation took over. I bought it at an auction, it had been in indoor storage for 17 years and had only 19,000 miles on it. A real screamer.  I sold it on Ebay a year ago last November and a man in the Bordeaux region of France bought it and sent a truck to pick it up. Ever hear of sellers remorse?
Jondar...i remember the Mach 3 very well, i had a part time job with a Kawasaki dealer in 1979..and he had the KH250,...KH400, and the beast a KH750....as his personal bikes....but the truth is the 750 just did not handle well at all...it was great in a straight line...but...when you went into a corner...it was like riding a plate of jelly.....i,lost a good friend in 1980....he,d not long passed his test...and he had the KH250 which as you will know was a small clone of its biggest brother...he traded his baby Kwaker in and bought the 750....and he was dead 3 weeks later....so as much as you may lament that you no longer have your pride and joy.....from where i,m sitting....you did yourself a favour.....
here,s a pic of my Katana...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:30:59 am by bigwull »