Author Topic: Anyone know anything about antique church pulpits?  (Read 5820 times)

Goldmaster

• View Profile
Anyone know anything about antique church pulpits?
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:42 pm »
Hey all, new to forum here. The main reason I joined is to find out if anyone knows anything about antique pulpits/podiums/lecterns. I recently save a very nice one from being tossed into the trash compactor at work. We were clearing out some storage rooms on the buildings second floor and we came across this piece (a couple shots):

I believe it is solid oak and is in excellent shape. The top is height adjustable. I don't know the age of it, but my best guess is it was made somewhere in the 20's?  There are no markings on it that I have found as of yet. I don't know squat about antique furniture, so I could be way off base though.  Anyway, my employer told me they wanted it gone and mentioned putting it into the trash compactor. But it seem liked such a shame for such a unique piece to be destroyed. I figured it has to be worth something. right? So I asked if I could have it instead... and they gave it to me for free! But the story gets better...

Earlier today, we found another piece that goes with it. It looks like the pulpit piece mounts to the top of it and it's the front of a stage or something. It's about 10ft long, 3ft high x 3ft wide and weighs an easy 300-400lbs. But it looks like it's the same design as the piece in the above pics. I haven't brought it home yet, so no pics right now. I really don't know what I have here and it could be worth a nice chunk of change, but I don't know how much of a market there is for this kind of stuff. I bet there probably isn't another one like it around though. So if anyone could tell me any info on this thing, it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get it appraised eventually, but I just thought I'd see what you guys/gals have to say. Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:59:25 pm by Goldmaster »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about antique church pulpits?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »
There is a good market for Ecclesiastical....f urniture....are there steps at the rear of it...judging by your wording...i.e. nice chunk of change....i will assume that you are in the US....here in the UK...almost anything church related sells....good luck with it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Goldmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am in Detroit, MI. There are no stairs/steps. The other piece looks like it was cut away from whatever it was attached to. Like the front of a stage, and this pulpit piece was affixed to the top of it. I will post some more detailed pictures of it soon.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »
Glad you saved it !!  Its a beauty !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:25 am »
Hard to tell, but the finish and color look more like walnut, and the time looks like the 1870s, although it can be hard to guess with ecclesiastical pieces because they tend to be so conservative.

This really looks like the crest/top to some larger piece. Can't wait to see more photos!

And yes, this will definitely be worth something to the right buyer!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:12 am »
Welcome to the forum Goldmaster! 

Do you think this pulpit may have come from a local area church or could it have been brought in from 'outside'?  The reason I ask is that if it were possible to trace which locale, or better yet, church it came from you may be able to find out a lot of it's history.  Most churches keep records, some even websites, detailing church's history...... especially information about such focal items as a pulpit.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:53 am »
Beautiful piece!! I do know in my area (Mass) such pieces from churches are hard to come by they have large storage warehouses in which they keep any and all church furniture, windows, pews and such from churches that are being destroyed. My husband did some work on a local church and was in one of these warehouses to find replacemet windows. Next time he will not set foot in one of these warehouses without me and my camera!!! I would contact a well known auction house with several photos and info. Like Christie's  https://www.christies.com/services/auction-estimates/   Good idea Sapphire with the weight I bet it is local!! Goldmaster go to your local library & check for photos of local & surrounding churches (also ones that have been torn down) Local historians are great for info also.  Let us know what you find  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:23:34 am by wendy177 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
Please post more pictures.

These items sell R E A L   W E L L!!!!

Check off list:
1) Good pictures with details
2) Any all identifying marks (initials even of craftsman)
3) Try and get any/all history
4) Once above is done contact reputable auction house as suggested above!!!!  THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT!

Why was it at your work place?  Do you refurbish/refinish items?  Was your place of business an old church and redone into something else?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Goldmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »
Please post more pictures.

These items sell R E A L   W E L L!!!!

Check off list:
1) Good pictures with details
2) Any all identifying marks (initials even of craftsman)
3) Try and get any/all history
4) Once above is done contact reputable auction house as suggested above!!!!  THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT!

Why was it at your work place?  Do you refurbish/refinish items?  Was your place of business an old church and redone into something else?

Okay, here are some more pics, including the other piece I have yet to bring home. Need to find some help to move this one! I think the pulpit piece maybe sat on top of this by the looks of the curve. I could be wrong though... Not really sure what type of wood it is made out of now. It could be a combination of stuff. 

]

Here are some more of the pulpit...

There are end pieces that attach to both sides with pegs and holes

More

It looks like the microphone mounts were added at some point. None of the screws match on those lol

Inside

The top slides up and probably had some sort of crank that has gone missing... So the top will not adjust and add any additional height currently.

top storage tray area

So I think that about does it for the extra pics I took. I could not find one single marking on the thing. You'd think whoever made it would want to put their name on it! Maybe I just need to look a little more. As far as the building it was stored in, it is just an office building (nothing church related). It belonged to the owner of the building, who stored it there for about the past 10 years. We needed the space, so he said this had to go. So that's where I came in.  :) He said I could have it and I didn't want to question him too much about it for fear he would change his mind  ;D I'd be willing to bet it came from a local Detroit area church. I believe he donates quite a bit to his religion. I may see what I can find out about it from him a little later on.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:13 pm »
BEAUTIFUL WOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:06:01 pm »
That larger piece looks like the right side altar !! Should also be one for the left side !!  Most layouts that I have seen,,the pulpit would be in the center, altars left and right with a walkway on each side so pastor could walk forward to the congregation without going all the way around !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:53:08 am »
this is a modern lectern....look at the price.....yours is far superior to this one...

http://www.gardnervane.co.uk/#/standard-lecterns/4561443885

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:55:25 am »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 07:03:22 am »
Lectern sounds right.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford