Author Topic: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine  (Read 22467 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
I pm`d you !!  Just don`t agree to anything !! Tell him that you are just curious !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2012, 02:29:05 pm »
You,re no daeing too bad...I,ve always adhered to a code,..treat people as you,d expect them to treat you....the people you would expect to treat you as a potential sucker...are the ones who will not give you their telling bone number...or address,s..or want you to send the goods, and they,ll pay by return....or appear on your doorstep,and promise you an arm & and a leg....you yourself will know how much you,d accept for this....so give this guy a call...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2012, 04:58:48 pm »
I just got off the phone with the gentleman that I found on the internet.  He told me that my engine was a (as I interpreted his statement) an Franken-engine.  He told me that it was part FB and part FH?  He gave me a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo that I didn't totally understand.  He told me that a running FB was worth in the market of around $1000 -$1200.  What I did understand, was he told me if I was interested in selling it, to give him a call.  I asked him what it might be worth as a Franken-engine and he told me around $200 plus shipping and handling.  He said that if he did buy it, he already had all the parts and could restore it to a completely original FB engine.

I have a letter from B&S in response to a letter that my father had written to them in 1992.  When he wrote the letter, he sent them three polaroid photos of the engine - they were in the envelope from B&S.

I am attaching them for you to look at and tell me what you think, before I offer my opinion.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »
So you have the complete picture of what I am trying to get to the bottom of, I am also attaching a copy of the photocopy of the owner's manual that B&S sent Dad as well as the Carburetor - Governor schematic.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2012, 06:49:58 pm »
I would get another opinion before you even start thinking about putting a price on it.
I see what the problem is: The FB had a 2 hole mounting system on the base...yours has 4 holes. ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2012, 07:15:13 pm »
You,ve got two options here Kimmie....one , you can take your time...give it a full service...from the looks of those pics..its a goer...all it needs is some TLC,...as i said in a previous post...give it a thoroughly good clean  i.e. fuel lines, tank, air filter, change the oil,...make sure it can turn over...with the plug out the compression will be at its minimum...so you could probably turn the pulley by hand to see if the piston moves..if it does you,re more than half way there...if you can get it running then you know what its worth....option two...is...you advertise it as a Franken with a reserve....and see what happens....

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2012, 07:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the new images of your cool little tater-masher , Kimmienemo !

One thing for your consideration that I'd suggest would be : Advertise it as an "as-is & original as-found" item only .

I suggest this , since it is way more than dirt-common for older gasolene (or other fuels) engines to have seals & gaskets (esp in the carb & intake) that have shrunken/cracked and are extra-prone to leakage &/or more disintegration when fresh fuel & oil are added .
I wouldn't want to have a buyer calling me about how my pos engine caught on fire & burnt the joint down ..... just sayin ' ...

I'd think that the fellas' offer would be a bit on the 'light' side , provided that repairs/replacement parts might be minimal to get this little guy up & running .

Wish I had some B&S specific info/experience on your item , K , but it looks like there is sure a small committee-full of opinions on this one ... the one thing all seem to agree about is that it's a cooL one !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 06:14:52 am »
Had to bump this one up !!  Got tired of going 4 pages back to find it !!

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:21 am »
Well. . . this has certainly been an experience.  I joined and posted questions to a couple forums.  One in particular has resulted in numerous PMs and even a couple of phone calls.  However, it is really strange.  All of the inquisitions have come from one area of the country!  Two of them know each other, and one would not give me any ideas of cost because a friend of him was "negotiating" a price with me - even though I was unaware of it.  A third person in that same area told that he has found engine collectors to be "honest and fair to deal with" and that as a result of the poor economy, he wasn't sure how much it might sell for.  He made a comment about the evils of eBay as they take a fair chunk of change from the sale.  He also asked me what I planned on doing with the little engine and that if I was working with anybody or wanted to take offers from a group of people.  He also asked if there was "someone you think would be a good home for it ,or do you want the most money you can?"  Instead of possibly reading him wrong. . . I took the high road and thanked him for his insight.

My thoughts:
  • These other forums are in no way as supportive and helpful as this one!  You guys are all the best.  Never once, have I felt like I was getting information that was self-serving on the part of the respondent
  • What is so "evil" about eBay?  My husband and I have purchased and sold a couple of vintage cars on the site and found it to be fairly good at helping seller of unique items meet potential buyers.  Even if eBay takes it's share, it still might sell for more than some of these people are wanting to pay to "help me out."

Any thoughts?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:47 am »
LOL  Yes !!  Do what you want !!  Take the info you need and deal only with those that sound sincere !!~  You have to weed out a few in any group !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
There are certainly those who , when fishing for info , wind up with the experience that they've been chumming for sharks , crabs & other forms of sea-life .

I'd guess that sometimes those who are in 'it' (whichever 'it' it is) for the dough 'only' could get upset about having to share a bite or two with others , perhaps to the point of considering taxes , income-reporting & pubilc o/l records as 'evil' .

It's a big ocean , so do keep an eye out for creatures with extra slime on 'em !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:24 am »
He tried to get it for a steal. He failed. His loss.

Sell to someone willing to pay more, and for less hassle.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:52 am »
He tried to get it for a steal. He failed. His loss.

Sell to someone willing to pay more, and for less hassle.
Does it always have to be about getting people to pay more....Not in my book it does,nt....

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 01:46:12 am »
Since the intiam offer of $200 was rejected and the seller in question indicated that they wanted more for it, then yes. In this case it does.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 02:57:09 am »
I think you,ve missed my point here....