Author Topic: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine  (Read 22480 times)

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine
« on: September 27, 2012, 06:11:04 am »
Good morning!  I am hoping that you all can help me determine a value for this engine.  I found it in the corner of Dad's garage, along with a letter he had received from the Briggs and Stratton Co.  Apparently he had written to them and sent them pictures regarding the model of the engine.  According to the letter, it is a model FB engine.  I have seen on eBay, that some of the parts are relatively expensive - for parts.  They had a fan housing - just the housing - and the bid was up to $150. 

I have no idea what this thing is worth (or should I say what someone might be willing to pay for it).  Any ideas/suggestions?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:29:28 am »

you say you don,t have an idea what its worth??...a $150 fan housing is telling you that its worth a fair bit....whilst you may want to sell it as a complete engine...which might make a good price...its worth considering what its worth as seperate items...because after all that fan housing thats on ebay...came from one of these...okay it probably came from an engine that was,nt working...but if you could get this one to run...all the better.....keep an eye on that ebay auction..check out how many bidders there were...at the end...then ,its not rocket science...is it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:59 am »
True. . . not rocket science, but still way out of my comfort zone.  Get it running - perhaps.  I haven't sold items on eBay, so there is another learning curve.  If selling on eBay - any recommendations on shipping?  I don't have a clue on where to begin with something that heavy.  The only "heavy" things I have shipped, were care packages to our son when he was in Afghanistan!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:46:22 am »
Kimmie I totaly understand this being out of your comfort zone (Mine too)   ;D I found this site it may be a good place to start for help. Also someone else here may pipe in and have all the answers you seek. But give these guys a shout, let us know how you make out. http://www.asecc.com/gallery/page4.html

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:53:56 am »
True. . . not rocket science, but still way out of my comfort zone.  Get it running - perhaps.  I haven't sold items on eBay, so there is another learning curve.  If selling on eBay - any recommendations on shipping?  I don't have a clue on where to begin with something that heavy.  The only "heavy" things I have shipped, were care packages to our son when he was in Afghanistan!
First of all Kimmie...we need to ascertain...when this was made...judging by the external valve spring...its old..very old...now there will be a serial number somewhere..and possibly an HP value...is the engine able to turn over...i.e. piston up/down...i can see that it needs a rope coiled round the pulley...to start...any info at all will help....as for shipping... there,s UPS.. or FedEx...but i,ve no doubt there will be loads of small carriers operating in your area....i. know over here its very reasonable to ship heavy items...just last  week i shipped an item that weighed 54kg..and it only cost £34....but our distances over here...are paled into insignificence..com pared to over there,.....I would call this a Vintage engine...but get some figures to us

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:28 am »
Great find Wendy....i,ve run out of Macs...but Sapphire,s store has tons..... ;D

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:04 am »
It's been awhile since I've seen one of those engines sell, but if I remember right the last complete one went at a local auction for around $500. They are quite rare, since only about 3000 of them were produced back in 1923-24.
Check the serial number, and you can find the exact month it was manufactured here: http://www.oldengine.org/members/murphy/F_Series.htm

(BTW: Mr. Briggs was a hometown boy from here.)

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:41:13 am »
Thanks to all of you.  You have given me several great avenues to begin pursuing.  I also found a gentleman on the internet that has a Briggs and Stratton collection.  I sent him the pictures and he responded almost immediately asking for a serial number and to call him!  Hmmm. . .

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:27 am »
I was following BigWull advise and went back onto eBay to look for the fan assembly.  Come to find out, his part is a reproduction.  He also has other reproduction parts available for B&S engines.  (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Big-Guys-Stuff/Briggs-FB-Parts-/_i.html?_fsub=210940012)  I hate to assume anything (you know how that goes. . . when you assume, you make an ass-u-me!), but is it safe to believe that the real McCoy is worth more than the reproduction parts?  I apologize for asking this question. . . but I am so new to this that I want to make sure that my common sense is spot on!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
What common sense ..you don,t have any...asking a question like that LOL...of course the genuine article is always worth more than the repo....ass-u-me  ha,ha,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
Here's one that sold on eBay last year. I think you will be pleased with the results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350484183435

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »
Awesome! I would never have guessed it could be so valuable.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:26:12 pm »
GHopper - it is just like your signature says. . . Is it heavy?  Yes.  Then it's expensive!" ;)  Like you though. . . who would have thought. . .

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »
GHopper - it is just like your signature says. . . Is it heavy?  Yes.  Then it's expensive!" ;)  Like you though. . . who would have thought. . .
i hate to be like a damp squib.....just don,t start counting them $$$ just yet.....what sold on ebay last year..was then....this is now.....but....get your finger out yours is far superior to that one...as i said earlier..check if it turns over...no need to get it fired up...weigh it, allow for the weight of a small strong wooden crate...then get it on ebay...that one had 16 bids from 9 bidders....so you, know that there are at least potential buyers ..just waiting for another one to pop up....good luck....you lucky sod..... :D

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:55:53 pm »
Thanks, BigWull!  I have also found a couple of B&S collector's clubs and small engine forums.  Most of them have a "classified ads" bulletin board - so perhaps that might also be an option.

Thank you for the advise on the crate and weighing it. 

Today, after work, I will go over and look for serial numbers and other identifying marks.