Author Topic: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine  (Read 22482 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Briggs and Stratton Engine
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
Thanks, BigWull!  I have also found a couple of B&S collector's clubs and small engine forums.  Most of them have a "classified ads" bulletin board - so perhaps that might also be an option.

Thank you for the advise on the crate and weighing it. 

Today, after work, I will go over and look for serial numbers and other identifying marks.
its always better to be prepared...we look forward to hearing how you get on, and wish you well....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 02:13:34 pm »
Please let us know about the results!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »
Advice again, please!

I found where the model number is stamped on the engine.  It is a model FB, but I can't read the entire number.  I tried to use the pencil rubbing trick, but the surface is so rough that it didn't work.

I am including a pict of the serial number.  Any suggestions?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »
The numbers/letters in the pic just posted appear to be from/of the casting of the engine 'block' , rather than a serial # to me , Kimmienemo .
Won't be my first time to be wrong , however !

Perhaps contacting those B&S collectors will give you a heads-up on the probable location of a serial # ?
Perhaps you could try pressing a piece of clay for a reverse impression of the stamping ?

I worked for Wisconsin Engine (long , long , long ago) , in the methods (engineering) department ... they would attach a metal plate with the serial/mod #'s on those engines .
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:53:52 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:26 pm »
THe FB...is the block number not the serial number..it should have had a brass plate with the serial number on it plus the bore size the brass plate had a hole on each corner..check the engine...to see where it was located...i remember you saying you contacted a collector...he should know the approx year +-...

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
Not a brass plate around - HOWEVER, I will double check again. I've been know to miss things! :o

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »
Not a brass plate around - HOWEVER, I will double check again. I've been know to miss things! :o
there,s plenty on ebay for this engine @$50 a piece........get back in touch with that collector....pick his brains...tell him you,ll buy him a coffee if you ever meet...

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
Bigwull - great minds, same gutter ;)

Already emailed him.  Inclued picts AND posed the same question to a B&S forum.  However, they are not nearly as good as you all!  They could learn a lot from Antique-Shop.com.

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:26 pm »
Just heard from one of the collectors.  His comment "call me.  too much for emails"  OK. . . so the cynical me is not happy!  (I had a great childhood. . . I can't figure out why I generally don't trust people!) :-\

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
Do not take a penny less than $800 for it. If it can be determined that it works, then $1,000 all day long. Chances are, the serial number plate is long gone. The block number should suffice to date the engine. It won't tell you the exact model, but at least the series it is.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »
Thanks, R&RRods!  I am going to make sure that I take my time, and not worry $o much about the fund$ that thi$ could bring a$  making $ure that I don't make a $tupid mi$take but jumping too quickly.  I don't know if it runs, and since Dad is gone - and he was the mechanical maestro - I am not sure that I will be able to make that determination.  I so wish he was here to give me advice - but I have found a wealth of advice from "friends" here at the forum.  I'm so thankful.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:03:21 pm by Kimmienemo »

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:07:08 pm »
Wise decision. If I had a shop that dealt in classic cars or hot rods, and I found one of those, I would gladly pay the $800 for a non working (but still complete, and if similar condition to yours) one just to display it in the front room for customers to see. Especially for a known company like B&S. I think it's awesome, and I am not alone.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:26 am »
Kimmie...its not that hard to determine if this engine works or not...after all its just a single cylinder internal combustion engine..to check if the engine turns over...first remove the spark plug...this will take pressure off the bore.then turn the pulley manually to see if the piston will move,if it won,t move then you will need to pour some release agent down the plug hole  like WD40...refit the plug to hand tight, leave for a few day,s then remove the plug and try and turn the pulley again.....if on the other hand the piston does move at the first attempt,then you are half way there,..just think of it as a small car engine that needs a service.i.e. change the oil, clean out the fuel line as gas turns to gel..if left for a long time...flush out the gas tank...clean the air filter...get a 1/4in piece of rope to make a pull cord...you may need a new spark plug...but keep the original one..You can check to see if the magneto is working, by sticking the plug into the plug cap.then with a rubber gloved hand hold the plug cap and touch it against any piece of metal on the engine and pull the cord that you have wrapped around the pulley...then when you pull the cord this will spin the magneto.thus generating an electric current..which the comes as a spark from the plug, if you have a spark and a piston that goes up and down...then there is no reason why this engine will not run

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 07:28:42 am »
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27
This forum group has helped me a lot !! Different sections, but I have found them very willing to assist !! I think they also have a sales venue but you can check on that !! I have been a member several years !! Mostly for the antique tractor forum but have used others and never been disappointed in them !!  From simple info to actual values,, this group is great !! The above link is for small air cooled engines like your B&S !!  Your engine reminds me of those used on go-karts in 50`s and 60`s !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:09 am »
Kimmie, do not attempt to see if it "runs". Do not attempt to turn the flywheel.

Looking at picture #4 it looks like the sparkplug is missing. Which means the piston could possibly be "frozen" up.

Spray a 1/4 can of WD-40 into the sparkplug hole and wait 2 or 3 days before you try to turn the flywheel.