Author Topic: UPDATE ON BRONZE  (Read 2792 times)

jacqueline

• View Profile
UPDATE ON BRONZE
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »
Hi all. well up date on my bronze. iv had me hopes and dreams shattered. im  >:(. i posted large close up pictures on the. metalcasting forum. one member said he would melt it down for belt buckles  :'(. not very nice. but at least they didnt hold back with there rather brutal opinions. they said it was. junk. said the detail was rubbish and not good. Anyway at least i will be able to rest now rather than having grand dreams of handing me notice in lol. im still going to keep it. its not junk to me. it will take pride of place in the room.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: UPDATE ON BRONZE
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:37:20 pm »
Well , sometimes the things we wish were turn out to not be (dang it) , jacqueline !
Good choice to keep the little item around , esp. if it suits you !

Hey bigwull ... I got my own saying about that .... you can lead a horse to water , but you can't make him drink ...... but you can make him thirsty !!!

;) ;) ;) ;)
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »
Amen, Fancypants!  Salt the feed!!!!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »
I like that one fancy!!!

You know what...I still wouldn't give up hope on the piece.  Not that it is worth zillions...but it could still be relatively old and unique, etc.....

Who knows over time if you find that out...tell the belt buckle people they will have to find another way to hold their britches up!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:12:58 am »
You have a very nice art piece that anyone would be proud to own !! Like I said in the original post,, take it to an art gallery or someone that deals in art, rather than as a metalcasting forum !! They wouldn`t know anyway !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:26:47 am »
jacqueline, years ago I took a diamond ring of my mother's to a jeweler to ask about having the setting reinforced. This man had been in the business many, many years and had a great reputation for doing beautiful work.  The ring had belonged to my great aunt who was born in the 1860's and was very well off. It was white gold, filigree with a 2 ct diamond. The base of the filigree where it rested on the finger was becoming thin, so I'd hoped to have something done to build it up both for strength and comfort. As my great aunt used a single jewelry box, everything went in it and unfortunately another piece of her diamond jewelry had scratched the stone in the ring.

This 'reputable' jeweler took a cursory look through his loupe and literally tossed it on the counter in front of me stating it wasn't worth fixing......as he simultaneously swung his chair around back to his workbench. I then asked him if it was not a diamond or not white gold......he didn't even bother to turn around to me as he answered yes, it was definitely a diamond and white gold..but it wasn't worth his time to repair.

'Worth' means different things to different people............d on't stop getting opinions until you get an answer from someone who takes the time to look and give you an informed and informative answer.

Below is an ring similar in style to the one of my great aunt's.  To us it was priceless, regardless of the flaw or the outdated style.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:21:17 am »
Jacqueline....i,just don,t understand why you went onto a forum...that deals in scrap metal...because that,s all metal casters are..scrap metal merchants...they melt lumps of lead, solder,scrap bronze..etc..then turn them into toy soldiers...belt buckles and fishing weights....even a numpty like me can do that...if you care to give me the link to this scrap metal forum...i,ll charm the boots of them..... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:56 am »
I would pay to read that thread!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:43 am »
Jacqueline....i,just don,t understand why you went onto a forum...that deals in scrap metal...because that,s all metal casters are..scrap metal merchants...they melt lumps of lead, solder,scrap bronze..etc..then turn them into toy soldiers...belt buckles and fishing weights....even a numpty like me can do that...if you care to give me the link to this scrap metal forum...i,ll charm the boots of them..... ;D ;D

Probably because her bronze is a cast metal and she thought it similar !! Many people do the same !!  Forums may sound like what you need but are in reality very different !!
Hope she gives you that link !! That would be interesting !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:01 am »
sapphire, i was appalled at the jewelers actions/words.  Today there are more jewelers out there you can take the piece until you find a skilled/reputable person to work on it.

WE have pieces like that....sentimental ly they are priceless....in the world's evaluation - not so much.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacqueline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:41 am »
Hi everyone. mart your right. i thought the forum did cast bronzes thats why i posted large close up pics. becouse my partner said the detail was not good enough to be a good bronze and the forum said exactly that.  i no its worth loads but i am still very interested in why i cant find one picture of the original. as i said the only one i can find have gold dressers on the base is different and the direction there heads are facing is different. mine is a copy. so why cant i find another. there seems to be hundreds. if you google AFTER EMILE ANDRE BOISSEAU. THREE GRACES and look on images you will  see . loads in auction sales [all the same in gold dressers] anyway. sapphire your so sweet thank you for your kind wards. i hope you gave that jewelers a piece of your mind the ignarant sod. sure i would have spun his chair out the door. i can understand why they called it junk. [not to me] when you see the close up pics i posted. if you goole. metal casting forum it should be first one. just click on it. it will say bulletin at top. click on general foundry talk. think mines 10th down. i said its got a new home in the garden. but its still pride of place in me room.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 04:55:23 pm »
As some of you will no doubt notice...I have removed one of my posts relating to this Bronze,...i have just been on the metal casting forum...and after reading the comments,posted there by the members..regarding this Bronze.i am of the opinion that the picture painted by Jacqueline..on how she was treated.was to say the least...a load of bollocks...the comments that were made were in a polite manner...the "brutal"..one of wanting to turn the Bronze into belt buckles...was a bit tongue in cheek...with a  :)..after it...similar to something i said about a wooden box joining the queue for my woodburner..
this has taught me a valuable lesson...one of which i will learn from....never to jump on a bandwagon without first checking that the wheels are not gonna fall off...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:09:57 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,