Author Topic: Small Wood Box  (Read 2352 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Small Wood Box
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
We bought this box today and I would like to know more about it. What could it have been used for and how old is it? The ad on CL didn't have very good pictures and from what I saw I thought it was early 1800s. But now that my husband brought it home I just don't know how old it is. I'm thinking maybe late-1800s? I hope it's at least that old. The paint appears quite modern. It's almost metallic-like. Metallic blue. It's worn, smooth, aged and dirty.The wood is well-worn.

It's construction is entirely made up of nails with round heads. Round head nails didn't come into use until the very late 1800s. What confuses me is that some of the screws have slots that are a little bit off center. I unscrewed one and it is machine-made and tapers. Which doesn't necessarily mean the box is brand new. Here's a little info about screws.
http://journalofantiques.com/2002/columns/business-of-doing-business/system-for-dating-country-and-primitive-furniture-part-one/

The rope, for some reason, is nailed onto the sides of the box. Not sure if it was for hanging or holding or what. The inside looks like maybe it had some sort of divider at some point.
This one is confusing me and I just don't know how to tell if it's brand new or if it is 100 years old. Pretty disappointed that it's not as old as I thought it was but at least we didn't pay very much money for it! I'm casting my vote for 1890s. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:04:14 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Small Wood Box
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »
more

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:23 pm »
one more

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:41 pm »
My personal belief is early 1900s-1910s. Possibly a sea man's chest for his journeys. The screws could very well be machine made, and that happened sometime around 1850 is memory serves. It's a cool chest though!
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:50 pm »
Thank you for your reply! The hinges do look late Victorian-esque the more I look at them. For some reason, I was thinking it could have been for carrying glass photography plates. I don't know why that popped in my head.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:37:03 pm by hosman321 »

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:52 pm »
That's a possibility, but I know next to nothing about photography, so I couldn't tell you how long they were used for. I'm still leaning towards a sailor's chest because of that rope. I would ask my Grandpa since he was a Merchant Marine, but when he doesn't know the answer, he tends to BS his way through the conversation. haha

Well, that and he was in the service during WWII, and not the Spanish American War. ;)
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:56 am »
Reminds me of a box that my grandfather had hanging from a nail in his barn.  Had medicines in it for the cattle. 

Simple box with simple makings.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!