Author Topic: Old leaded glass windows  (Read 4783 times)

Goldmaster

• View Profile
Old leaded glass windows
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
Hello again people! So, I have had these old leaded glass windows stashed in the garage for awhile and spotted them the other day. Not sure if they are actual windows, or if they came off some sort of cabinet. Anyway, since I am now a member of this forum, I figured I would post up some pictures to see if anyone can tell me anything about them. I see some on ebay going for big money, while others - not so much… So what makes them valuable? Is it the beveled glass? If so, these have beveled glass. ;D Anyway to decipher the age? They are dirty, but are still in good shape. No cracks, missing lead, etc. Onto the pics!

The flipside

Any info is appreciated!  :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Old leaded glass windows
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »
If you google lead glass windows you will see many. You can get some good money for them, or check ebay.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:45:40 pm »
They look like salvaged indoor cabinet doors. The fact that there are two pairs would make them very desirable especially in major markets. I would want at least 150.00 each for them, maybe more. You need to find the right buyer who will know what to do with them. I really like them including that great white paint.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
Right !! Could be indoor or kitchen windows that fold to inside !! Didn`t see all the pics !! That heavy beveled glass sure adds to value !! I would say that price per panel is about right if not a bit higher !!  I would ask $200. per panel !! 

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »
Yep, looks like old cabinet work. $200 apiece!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Goldmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:54 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I may list them on Ebay over the weekend now that I have a idea of what they might be worth. Maybe a Buy It Now price of $799 for the set? Is it best to just sell items like these locally to avoid shipping? I'd be afraid of them gettting damaged if I ship them.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
you can try and sell locally but if there are no buyers...then what do you do...selling to a wider audience is your best bet..and as for shipping...well its the potential buyer that pays the shipping and the insurance...not you....and as these have a wooden frame..the only part that to safeguard is the glass, therefore a piece of foam either side, with a thin ply cover on each side...or better still construct a small wooden crate....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:34:11 am »
You can also give them the option of a local pickup to save on shipping.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:50:27 am »
over here in the UK...you see similar one,s for sale...but they tend not to fetch that much...they have to be really special to command a price of £500...which is the equivalent amount of $$  this one here is,nt as good as yours...but at that kind of start price...with a measure of 30in x 20in...its cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1920-30S-MEDIUM-STAINED-GLASS-WINDOW-/221131059425?pt=UK_Antiques_Architecural_RL&hash=item337c7030e1
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:53:24 am by bigwull »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
Only thing is,, thats not how ebay works !! Even if insured,, the seller is the person who purchased the insurance and he is the one that has to collect it after ages of haggling with the PO !! Buyer can file a complaint with Paypal who takes the money back,, they don`t like to wait 6 months to get their money back !!   If you do ebay,, Do local pick up !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:46 am »
Only thing is,, thats not how ebay works !! Even if insured,, the seller is the person who purchased the insurance and he is the one that has to collect it after ages of haggling with the PO !! Buyer can file a complaint with Paypal who takes the money back,, they don`t like to wait 6 months to get their money back !!   If you do ebay,, Do local pick up !!
Local pickup is ok...if your buyer lives close by...what if he,s 500 miles away...what do you do then...from experience..i never use the P.O. they,re far to expensive....i use a private carrier.and when i sell a large item, i get the buyer to arrange with the carrier...that way if anything happens...then they make the claim....and out of dozens of transactions...done this way..there has only ever been one claim...and it was settled within 3 weeks...

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:44:49 pm »
If you have a local leaded glass artist, you might want to see who they use to ship their products?  They might also have some shipping "secrets" for how, who, and how much. . .
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:28:47 pm »
If you have a local leaded glass artist, you might want to see who they use to ship their products?  They might also have some shipping "secrets" for how, who, and how much. . .
i don,t know what shipping rates are over there are,because of the vast distances that may be involved...but over here...i recently shipped a crate measuring 36in x 25in x 20in with a weight of 120lb...and it cost £34...and the distance covered was 600 miles...and 2 years ago i shipped a crate from here to California ...measuring 5ft x 3ft x 2.6ft with a weight of 190lb via FedEx for £228inc insurance value of £2100.....these 4 panels judging by what i see can,t measure more than 4ft x 1ft x 8in approx, put foam between them and stick them in a small crate..does,nt take rocket science....

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »
Rocket science no. . .but the worst thing for leaded glass (and not just old leaded glass) is not necessarily the problem of being banged around, but the vibration of travel.  If the pieces are not "packed" well, then they have a tendency to break, chip, crack. . .
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:29:59 pm »
Rocket science no. . .but the worst thing for leaded glass (and not just old leaded glass) is not necessarily the problem of being banged around, but the vibration of travel.  If the pieces are not "packed" well, then they have a tendency to break, chip, crack. . .
That,s what i,ve been saying,foam cut to the size of the glass,inset.both sides.then layer of foam over all, both sides sandwich style,then wooden crate...i,ve done it umpteen times in the past,with items more fragile than glass thats secured within a wooden frame....and i would,nt hesitate to do it with these, ...