Author Topic: Glasgow china mark?  (Read 4171 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Glasgow china mark?
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a simple white soap dish - probably hotel ware - marked Glasgow China Vitrified Trenton, NJ

I am trying to find a date range.  It looks fairly new - minor staining.  I saw another listed on rubylane I believe and it indicated it was from 1860 or so but the early marks I can find were printed in black.  This is embossed and I just cannot find a date anywhere.
I don't think you can see it clearly in the pic but we'll see.
Can anyone help?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow china mark?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »
What is the embossing I can't see it?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:04:26 am »
Can uou do a pencil rub of the mark....cause our peepers ain,t that good....white on white with all that glare.....help!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:41:46 am »
That's what I thought - sorry guys - my crappy indoor lighting - white on white and glare - argghhh   :-\

I will try and take more pics later this morning but in the meantime it says:

Glasgow China
Vitrified
Trenton, NJ

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:29 am »
That's what I thought - sorry guys - my crappy indoor lighting - white on white and glare - argghhh   :-\

I will try and take more pics later this morning but in the meantime it says:

Glasgow China
Vitrified
Trenton, NJ
We don,t need pics now...your English is very good ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:40:52 am »
Found some but they are patterned unlike your,s which is what we call over here...a plain Geordie....or as its spelt in Scottish....Plen Geordie... ;D..and whilst i,m on aboot auld Scottish .Dudonese.....try and get yer tongue aroond this...then tell me what i,m on aboot....."Eh hud meh ehe on a peh"....or  this...."Suffehce t,seh Eh was dehlighted wi the response,speshully among intrehpit ahlder generations wha ken a pletty frum a peeny and the difference atween the lah and the Lah! ... ;D ;D

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:56:24 am »
hahah while my English may be very good, my Scottish is not so good  :o  So I have no idea  LOL other than yes I could say "eh was dehlighted wi the response" and that's where I lost it  LOL

And yes the few I saw were patterned and not a Plen Geordie such as mine.  However, the ones I did see had the same mark as mine and were indicated as an "early mark" from the 1860's but when I researched the early mark, it states it was printed in black.  I don't think the embossed mark is that early and that's what I can't find.

I did find reference to this embossed mark but no date indicated.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:02:01 am »
Here's some early information on the Glasgow Trenton markings:
http://trentonhistory.org/Made/Marks.html
I bet the "Vitrified" mark will help date it.

(BTW: I'm always amazed at the information that seems to flow from this site. For instance; up until a short time ago, all I knew about Scotland was that it was the homeplace of Old Jock and Old Granny. Before I know it, I'll be able to converse with my ribeye in the native tongue. ;))

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:33:14 am »
Here's some early information on the Glasgow Trenton markings:
http://trentonhistory.org/Made/Marks.html
I bet the "Vitrified" mark will help date it.

(BTW: I'm always amazed at the information that seems to flow from this site. For instance; up until a short time ago, all I knew about Scotland was that it was the homeplace of Old Jock and Old Granny. Before I know it, I'll be able to converse with my ribeye in the native tongue. ;))

Geez, thanks Rauville. Now you've got me spitting my pepsi :P

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:13:58 am »
I am amazed every day by the people on this board - the knowledge - the kindness - the enthusiasm  to help - and the diversity.  I am loving learning some Scottish since it is somewhere in my lineage along with a bunch of others.   ;D

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 08:17:31 am »
The mark is there Sapphire  - but with no dates and shows it printed in black - same mark though.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 08:23:42 am »
I am amazed every day by the people on this board - the knowledge - the kindness - the enthusiasm  to help - and the diversity.  I am loving learning some Scottish since it is somewhere in my lineage along with a bunch of others.   ;D
What do ya mean wi a bunch of ithers...every American I,ve iver met...has ether got Irish roots or Scottish roots...an i,ve met a guid few....but at least you can say..you,ve got them roots....unlike them in Oz.."No Not Dorothy,s Oz"... :D.whaur their a descendants o.criminals...that were punted ower there, fae Britain...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 11:20:18 am »
hahah while my English may be very good, my Scottish is not so good  :o  So I have no idea  LOL other than yes I could say "eh was dehlighted wi the response" and that's where I lost it  LOL

And yes the few I saw were patterned and not a Plen Geordie such as mine.  However, the ones I did see had the same mark as mine and were indicated as an "early mark" from the 1860's but when I researched the early mark, it states it was printed in black.  I don't think the embossed mark is that early and that's what I can't find.

I did find reference to this embossed mark but no date indicated.
..."Eh hud meh ehe on a peh"...translation....I had my eye on a pie...simple.. ;D

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
Ok got that part now  LOL   I actually have both Irish and Scottish with some English and the rest is a mystery.   :o

I suppose it is time to invest in some books as what I find on the internet are more like excerpts with lots of missing information and the last thing I want to do is state something is from 1860 if it was made in 1998  :D :D :D ;D ;)