Author Topic: Antique Violin  (Read 5888 times)

dnbinc

• View Profile
Antique Violin
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »
Hello again,

Hopefully there's some musical instrument buffs out there. I have a Violin that is marked on the inside Jacobus Stainer in Abfam, prope oenipontum 1745.

I know this isn't an original Jacobus Stainer. He was alive from ~1610 - ~1680. But his design was copied for a long time because of it's superiority. I believe this violin is from the mid to late 1800's but I have had no luck finding the maker's mark.

HOPEFULLY CLICKABLE LINK TO MORE PICTURES :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Violin
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:56:51 am »
Can you take a picture of the back...and some of the neck...the chances of this being a genuine Jacobus Stainer..are ....nil....i take their is a label inside telling you that this is a Stainer...and by its decoration...we would all like to think...yes you have hit the jackpot.....i,m not saying that this fiddle is a piece of junk....i,ve seen good copies fetch a fair wad,...all we can do is search for other copies that have been sold...to compare with this one...you can also send pics to Christies Auction House....and as their advice....i,ll keep my toes crossed....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:48 am »
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it is not a real stainer. But like you said good copies can fetch a pretty penny. I just can't find the manufacturer. I hope that link works. It has nice detailed pictures of the back and the manufacturer mark on the base of the neck.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:30 am »
I don,t think its that old....the back is made from two pieces...which is a dead giveaway when it comes to  repo fiddles...the back of original one,s are made from one piece,as are your more expensive repo,s,but as this one is done in two pieces...its telling me that it is a good deal younger...and its maker may have used chopsticks...to eat his dinner....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
Have to agree with bigwull on this one!

Specify wooden chopsticks!  They use stainless in Korea so don't want to steer that direction!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
Have to agree with bigwull on this one!

Specify wooden chopsticks!  They use stainless in Korea so don't want to steer that direction!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »
I missed the joke :(

Is it an inside-antiques joke?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »
Local joke !!  What they mean is that many of the oriental countries produce re pros of old violins !! Japan or China !!  Many of the better copies are made in Czechoslovakia as are the bows !! If you have the bow with it and it is marked as such,, it likely is worth a good deal more than the violin !! So be sure to look at it !!

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:55:29 pm »
The bow is marked W. M. Schuster and looks like it is made out of snakewood with ivory ends and pearl inlays. It might be bone. It might be fake snakewood, but it looks nice.

More pics here.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »
Didn`t find a W.M. But did find a W.R. Schuster,, Germany mid to late 20th century !!  I would take it to  a shop that sells instruments and inquire !! Then research more depending on what they say !!  Many times these were a family business !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:46:39 am »
Can you take a pic of the ..Schuster name....if it is a W.R ...instead of a W.M......then maybe...there is good news....as i have seen it happen over here...a relatively  inexpensive violin...with an expensive bow,its all part of making people believe that what they have purchased  is genuine....like, "If the bow is expensive then it stands to reason that the violin must be expensive as well....the "missed joke"....was ..the only thing that,s missing from this violin...is the made in China sticker....its becauae the back of the violin has a 2 piece one....and both piece,s of wood do not match each other......now to what might be good news.....the Bow,.....if it is a Schuster....then... .you,ve got a winner.....but it needs to be a W.R.Schuster

.http://www.zaretandsonsviolins.com/bows.html...

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 05:15:59 am »
Thank you for the information.

Today I have an appointment with a local violin shop. He said he'd look it over for free and if I wanted, take it on consignment.

It is indeed W. R. SCHUSTER. I think I got a pretty good pic of it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:02:07 am »
This looks good...it certainly looks like ivory....with an inlay...and Schuster bows do have inlays on many of the one,s i,ve seen...we wait with eager anticipation....on the result of the evaluation....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:59 am »
Glad it a WR Schuster !!  You may have a winner !! Be sure and let us know !! WR Schusters bows can run from $2000. up !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:38 am »
Glad it a WR Schuster !!  You may have a winner !! Be sure and let us know !! WR Schusters bows can run from $2000. up !!
Think $5000 and up Mart!...see my link...