Author Topic: Little Roll Top Desk and Chair Value  (Read 5304 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Little Roll Top Desk and Chair Value
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
I found this desk in NJ 9 or 10 years ago. I found the chair in Florida, a couple years later. They could not be a better match. I used to have it in a spare room and I stored fishing tackle in it. Unless we move to a place where I have my own office space; Wifey wants it out. I was going to put a big stuffed monkey in the chair and call it Gal Friday but she did not see the humor in it or like my idea. It is in storage right now in Florida and we are here in New Jersey. When we retrieve the stuff it looks like the little desk will need to find a new home. What do you think would be a fair price for the set? There are pigeon holes inside and it is in excellent original condition and I think it was cherry. The chair swivels and matched perfectly right down to the wood. I really think it is the chair that came with one of these.  The back of the desk is a composition board which makes me thing 1950s even though it looks older from the front. I am sorry I do not have the measurements but it would seat a small child of 4 or 5.
Even better if you could tell me how to talk her into letting me keep it!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:28:15 pm by frogpatch »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Little Roll Top Desk and Chair Value
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:23 pm »
Are you a Man....or a mouse!.....if you,re anything like the rest of us men....you,ll be a mouse.....buy her a pair of shoes...its common knowledge....all women like shoes....or i can send you some of my little blue trangular pills....and ....afterwards she may let you have anything you want....LOL
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:19:07 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »
Well done..that one could pass as the one here...and even the chair is close....just don,t let Frogpatch,s wife see it...or else his will be gone too

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »
"I was going to put a big stuffed monkey in the chair and call it Gal Friday but she did not see the humor in it or like my idea."

Humor is clearly a very personal thing.

I think you've got the right date on the desk. The styling on the front is pretty conservative/craftsmany, but I think you're spot on with the 1950s. $225 seems like a pretty good price.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:17:46 am »
HA,  ;D everytime Frogpatch mentions one of his "goodies" he has in storage in Florida it make me think of the "Storage Wars" program I enjoying watching on TV.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:44:23 am »
when Avril asks me to put something into the loft,or the shed...i tell her she would be as well selling it....as whatever goes into storage rarely see,s the light of day....and more often than not...the next time the loft finds...or stored items see the light of day..is when relatives are clearing out....after we,ve popped our clogs...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:00:52 am »
Thats a very nice little student desk !! Chair is perfect !!  About the right price !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »
Thanks everyone. Cogar please do not mention that show. I will have bad dreams about Yuuuuuup outside of my unit. I have the largest unit back to front and stacked 8 feet. There is lot of yuuuuup in there. You will lnow when I finally figure out how to move it. Gas is too high right now too think about it renting a 22 foot truck..

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
Thanks everyone. Cogar please do not mention that show. I will have bad dreams about Yuuuuuup outside of my unit. I have the largest unit back to front and stacked 8 feet. There is lot of yuuuuup in there. You will lnow when I finally figure out how to move it. Gas is too high right now too think about it renting a 22 foot truck..
Gas is too high??....you want to think yourself very lucky with the price of petrol,:$4.60 per gal,...take 5 gal,s of yours = $23...over here the same amount...costs us $42.65...and diesel is more expensive than that..@.$53.81.....for the same amount....From where i,m sitting...you guys have got it real easy....and i think you had better not get used to these "cheap gas prices"  that you,ve got at the moment....they are going to climb...these oil companies are just holding us to ransom...and its going to get worse...and that,s with oil at $109 a barrel...what,s going to happen when...the Gulf states decide...to raise prices...or something kicks off in the middle east...again....and again....we here in the UK,...rejoice when they take a 5p off a liter...I don,t like to sound like a Harbinger of doom & gloom.......but.i think perhaps your stuff is going to be in storage for a good while yet....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »
Get your bicycles ready! Hopefully were getting closer to electric cars.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Get your bicycles ready! Hopefully were getting closer to electric cars.
You are right there G,acre...Electric or hybrids are the way to go...if you ask me..its the oil companies that are holding back the Electric cars...they don,t want them...they want to keep screwing us till there,s no gas  left...then guess who will be in charge of Electric car fuel cells....Mr oil company....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:46:56 pm by bigwull »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »
Money makes money! I would love to make my house solar, if you have $40,000.! The same principle. Owners of large apt. buildings here in Philadelphia have gone solar. For them they lay out the money and the tenants pay them for the electric and the extra is sold to the electric companies. Once again money makes money. My husband's clients do this.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:58:07 am »
Electric or hybrids are the way to go ......

YUP, .... for short "commutes" and "flatlanders". ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:54:53 am by bigwull »