Author Topic: Need assistance with dating a table  (Read 3763 times)

brad_1

• View Profile
Need assistance with dating a table
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:33:05 am »
Hello - found this forum while doing some research on this table/chairs.  This was given to me by someone cleaning out their old shed (also got a cabinet from the 1910s!), so I am really curious to learn more about what it is.  I did take a screw out of the table and it was very clearly a machine made screw but the wood itself and other parts of construction seemed earlier to me (but I am still learning).

Anyway - I took a few pictures of what I hope to be useful, the last picture is a close up of one of the joints on a chair.

Thanks for your help!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need assistance with dating a table
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:30 am »
Hi Brad, can you give us a pic of the top....the frame judging by the connectors..is a soft wood...looks like red pine...the pedestal legs look like they may be made of mahogany....but its hard to tell for sure...with all that grime that,s on them...i assume by its configuration that the base is triangular...I doubt that the wood is earlier than the metal fixings..what would be the point of making a table at an earlier date..then fitting younger fixings...these fixings go with the table at its time of making...i,d hazard a guess and say its late 19th century to early 20th....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:05 am »
Jacobean or Empire revival style, early 20th century, most likely walnut but can have some mahogany as secondary wood since it was cheap back then !!  That old varnish is red varnish and turns almost black over the years !! Its pretty easy to remove with denatured alcohol and 4-0 steel wool !! Use it just like Formby`s and work in small sections !! It will melt off and wipe away !! Have plenty of old rags available for this process !! To get into creases use a stiff toothbrush and the denatured alcohol !! or a craft stisk with the steel wool on one end !! Tie with string or wire tie and change as needed !!  It will make a mess of your hands so wear gloves or be ready to have varnished fingernails !!

brad_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:35 am »
Sure, here are a few pics of the tabletop itself.  There are actually two of those triangular bases that go together and the table sits on top.  Thanks for your input!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:38 am »
Did you get the castors...that it has had at some point..in its life...as there are push fit sockets on the bottom of the legs

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33:34 am »
Jacobean or Empire revival style, early 20th century, most likely walnut but can have some mahogany as secondary wood since it was cheap back then !!  That old varnish is red varnish and turns almost black over the years !! Its pretty easy to remove with denatured alcohol and 4-0 steel wool !! Use it just like Formby`s and work in small sections !! It will melt off and wipe away !! Have plenty of old rags available for this process !! To get into creases use a stiff toothbrush and the denatured alcohol !! or a craft stisk with the steel wool on one end !! Tie with string or wire tie and change as needed !!  It will make a mess of your hands so wear gloves or be ready to have varnished fingernails !!
Hi Mart...i still feel that the trans members are  made of a softwood,as these corrugated connectors,did,nt take too kindly to be hammered into a hardwood....

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:36:36 am »
Looks to me like a William & Mary style table from the 1940s-50 era.

brad_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:54 am »
Unfortunately I did not get the castors or the leaf.
Thanks for your help in figuring this out!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Could be  bigwull !! I have seen a few with all kinds of wood in unseen areas !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 11:54:04 am »
Yup, me thinks Jason is closer on the dating of the table.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:29:30 pm »
I would not argue that is a possibility !! But I can give an opinion !!  This style furniture was not in fashion by early 40`s although it could have still been selling as I don`t think the stores would have tossed it just because it wasn`t in style !! But late 30`s was more deco and styles that were simple in design for the most part !! Hollywood Regency was coming in as well as Italian Renaissance, Duncan Phyfe and Queen Anne revival for formal areas as well as a few others !! Color was in and woods used were getting lighter !! Dark woods were not as popular !! So if I had to guess at a time period and thats usually what I do,, I would guess a bit earlier !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 03:08:05 am »
Given the photos in Post #3, …..  I was judging it more on construction rather than style.

That one (1) big knothole in the top surface didn’t impress me any.

And the underneath looks to have been “spray stained”.

And in the photo of the dowel pins, it appears from the “drippies” of the finish on the lower edge that it was cause by storage in a “hot” place, …. unless a coat of paint “remover” was applied but never wiped off.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:02 am »
It was definately stored where there was no temp control !!  Looks like it had a tough life while stored !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 06:26:18 am »
lying unloved in someone,s old shed...for what looks like a lot of years,....i,ve seen better in a skip,..this would be a sure fire canditate for my woodburner...in fact i,ve got a 7footer, that, might just end up there, as we will be moving in the near future...and the table won,t be coming with us....