Author Topic: Need assistance with age of table.  (Read 3208 times)

IanM

• View Profile
Need assistance with age of table.
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:16:42 am »
Hi, I'm very much thinking of bidding on this table but there are a few things about it that slightly concern me.
Having a second opinion on the rough age of the piece would be very kind and put my mind at ease.
Possibly it's late georgian?

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:18:31 am by IanM »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need assistance with age of table.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:26:14 am »
Don,t keep us in the dark? tell us your concerns...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:26:42 am »
Its the perfect place to post the question but we need to know your general location !!

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:45 am »
That's great I feel a bit self conscious as this is my first post and its a very selfish one!
My location? I'm in London. The table is sold in the UK.

The table is mahogany I believe. I actually very much like it no matter it's age but I ..I just have to know! (or at least a rough idea)
I'm no expert but the underside which is curved at the ends of the table sticks out to me as I have only seen this once before on a table this age. Normally its straight as far as I have seen.
It's a small thing I know, I also have no idea what I'm looking in the picture under the table.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:37 am »
The top table has a wide grain like a walnut or pecan !!

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:14:42 am »
Oh I did not even think about the type of wood, the seller does describe it as mahogany but it would have a darker red colour if it was mahogany I suppose. Maybe its walnut I'm not sure about pecan.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:50:13 am »
I am really not understanding what your concerns are either !!  Who is the maker of the table ?? Is the secondary wood (underside) what you are concerned about ?? What were you told about the table by the seller ?? Is the top pic the one you are purchasing ??   I am afraid you have to spell it out for us !!

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 11:48:30 am »
Just would like some help to put a rough age on it   ;D

There are a few smaller things (slight damage, some odd design on the curvy undersides of the ends) but that's the main one.
Nothing very major...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
Odd design ?? You mean what looks to me like writing or numbers in faded white ??

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
I did not notice that  :o

I mean normally the part that is curvy on the underside of this tables ends is always straight on the other Georgian dining tables I have seen. I did consider that maybe it was originally to end tables and they added the middle sections later, although that might just be crazy talk.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »
If you are talking about the shape of the underside ,, it is pretty much as I would expect !! Of course another maker could use a different base !! It all depends on what the Mfrs design is !! Not all are the same !! Although I have no idea why a maker would use a different shape than this,, they can and do change sometimes !!  That is why I asked who the maker was !! If you know who made it you can look at other pieces by them and see if its consistant with their line of furniture !!

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »
First of all thankyou for your replies!
I do not know the maker but I will inquire into it.
I have been doing my own research and I think im much more at ease with it now.

My issue is I have looked at other tables of this period and style they always have a straight underside, I will post a picture as an example.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »
The one that you are thinking of buying..is far superior to the one shown in these pics...this one does,nt have the cross banding...with the different shades..can i ask, are you buying keep...or to punt on......if its to keep, then you alone will know what to do...but if its to punt on...then you have to think...maybe a prospective buyer might find this curve an issue too...Or,perhaps this curve is unique to that table because it has the cross banded inlay??...just a thought
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »
Bigwull I think that what he is asking about is the skirting around the table !! As  I said before,, there can be many designs even with a single maker !! And more yet if you look at several makers !! Just as furniture today can be a single style but varied enough that the buyers don`t all have the same exact table !!  Just use google images and look at all the variations in Georgian style tables !!

IanM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 12:49:58 am »
Thankyou guys I think you have put my mind at ease.

It is for personall use so I think I wont worry about it to much. Everything else about the table checks out apart from this so I will put it down to what mart is saying.

My problem was I could not find another table of this age with the same style skirt/underside they almost all have the straight style even though I have had a good old look around. I can only find one demi lune table of the period which is similar at all. (not a whole dining table just one small semi circle end table)