Author Topic: Mysterious $5 find- Some kind of persian/asian vase??  (Read 4246 times)

whispy

• View Profile
Mysterious $5 find- Some kind of persian/asian vase??
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »
Today, I bought this "vase" for $5 at an estate sale.  It is wooden, and quite light.  The top of the object has no traditional vase opening- only a small hole (maybe to hold incense)?  There is imagery of an African-like landscape with grasslands, cheetahs and gazelles.  However, there are several large circular areas that seems to tell a story-  One has two men in turbans riding elephants, that seem to be fighting.  Another has several men sitting on a tile floor in a beautiful palace, drinking wine and negotiating.  The men appear to be asian in appearance.  There is also writing at the top of the vase that appears Persian or Arabic.

So therefore, I have no idea what culture the object comes from, how old it is, or the message it conveys.  I also don't know if it is unique, as a gift for someone, or a more common artwork telling a story that would be displayed in an everyday house.  Anyone have any ideas at all what this thing is??  It's quite beautiful, and very detailed.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious $5 find- Some kind of persian/asian vase??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:22 pm »
whispy, any marks on the bottom? Is there something missing from the top, or is this just chipping? Nice piece.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:17 am »
This might be made of paper-mache.....this would account for it being so light..with it having no visible lid or opening..does suggest that it is for incense....but...it just seems to me that someones went to an awful lot of trouble...just to make an incense holder...??
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

whispy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:45 am »
I don't think it is missing anything, just a little chipped at the top.  And there is a small hole, I don't know if it is meant to be there or if it was poked in by someone.  You're right, the stand seems far too large to just be for holding incense... maybe there used to be a figure or something that fit into the hole at the top and fell off?

And I also think you're right about paper mache.  Does this material suggest anything about the year it could have been made? 

The painting seems to be suggesting some message of diplomacy or a political message.  It does seem to be painted with care and detail, not just for decoration.  One of the panels shows 2 different factions sitting on the floor, drinking wine and negotiating, with one person offering a red satin cloth to the other.  It would be wonderful to have someone who is able to read the script at the top, since that may offer some clues.

There is nothing on the bottom, it is just painted black.  No signature of the artist or anything indicated where it was made or when.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:02 am »
What side of the pond are you on...the writing on the top look,s like its Arabic,...so, as another member suggested to someone else on here...if there are any shops...of ethnic origins..you can try them...or if you,could copy what is written then get it translated online....if you are on this side of the pond..Uk then its going to be a lot easier i think....

whispy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Unfortunately I am in the US- In Illinois.  Kind of wonder how this object ended up in an estate sale over here.  However, since I am in the Chicago area we actually have quite a few Arabic stores in the area, and our neighbor is Muslim.  We might take it over to her house and see if she can read the script.  I'm just not sure if I should take it to an antique shop in the area and see if they have any ideas?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:39 am »
I think you,re better to have some knowledge of what it might be before walking into an antique shop..you can get a free evaluation here...just send clear pics like what you have here...they don,t charge...

.http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/

whispy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:25:19 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion-I just sent an email and I will let you an email and I'll let you know what they say!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:49:10 pm »
My grandmother has some similar wood block prints. They date from the 40's. I wondering if this could be the same time period.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:50:07 pm »
Have you tried to unscrew the top or could be like a cork !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »
Yeah...and there might be a genie inside....and you, might get the obligatory 3 wishes.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:43 am »
You can see from the top that there was a cover or something else there !! The hole may be where a ball or something similar was attached to the cover !! I think that what you are calling the top is the inside of the lid or top !!  If it is papier mache`and has been damp it will literally glue itself together !!
And one thing I didn`t think about,, is there a corresponding hole in the bottom ?? Can you take a pic of the bottom ??
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:18:09 am by mart »

meeple

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »
the script looks extremely similar to tibetan... which fits better with the oriental pictures that are on the painting...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »
Any chance this could have been a lamp base??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »
I asked if there was a hole in the bottom too but he hasn`t answered !!