Author Topic: I was told this is an Antique Hardhat............anyone know what this is?  (Read 4488 times)

yadenj

• View Profile
I purchased this from an estate garage sale. the woman said her grandfather said it was a very old hardhat. It has some greening which indicate its copper. Painted with a very old red paint. Can anyone tell me what it really is or confirm that it is indeed a antique helmet/hardhat? Thanks in advance!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Noooo!not a helmet...looks like an insert for something...just don,t know what....Rauville... where art thou....this is right up your dreel..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

yadenj

• View Profile
well then I wonder if its worth anything other than its weight in copper

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Well until we find out what it is, or is,nt...its just a lump of copper...with only scrap value...or you can polish it up and stick a tamata plant in it...it looks like it might have been an insert for a spitoon....or if its big enough..somewhere to park yer bum..in an emergency....

Rauville

• View Profile
Noooo!not a helmet...looks like an insert for something...just don,t know what....Rauville... where art thou....this is right up your dreel..... ;D

I've been out feeding the chickens, and they have been debating my competence at that task...so don't expect much from me.

My offhand guess would be that this sat in a tall container and was filled with sand for snuffing your smoke in a theater lobby perhaps. :-\

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
With the rounded bottom, I don't know if I would want it to hold anything.  It looks like the piece that fits over the end of an axle (like a wagon).  That would be one really big axle!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

yadenj

• View Profile
well I guess the possibilities are endless. I'll keep on researching or maybe just take it to a scrap yard. The hat story sounded feasible at first. But now looking at it, it probably wouldn't offer too much protection. Thanks for the input! Any other ideas are always welcome!!!

Kimmienemo

• View Profile
I am very skeptical about the hardhat item. As far as I can determine, most metal head coverings (old hard hats, military helmets, roman helmets, etc) had some type of device to hold the hat on.  While many of these had leather straps (and the straps may have disintegrated), there would be remaining holes or brackets for attaching them.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

mart

• View Profile
I think Rauville is correct !! Looks like the liners in theaters, hotels, ect !! Would be a decorative tube about 30 inches tall !! Liner sat in top with sand in it !! Every so often they would use a sifter and remove most of the refuse and every couple of weeks all would be dumped and refilled !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
I think Rauville is correct !! Looks like the liners in theaters, hotels, ect !! Would be a decorative tube about 30 inches tall !! Liner sat in top with sand in it !! Every so often they would use a sifter and remove most of the refuse and every couple of weeks all would be dumped and refilled !!
...a polite way of saying its for stubbing out "dog-ends"...before entering a civic establishment.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
Re: I was told this is an Antique Hardhat............anyone know what this is?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:06 pm »
Back then smoking was accepted and enjoyed in the lobby !! Not sure its copper,, more likely brass or other alloy !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:02 pm »
Its copper...no doubt about it!....i,d bet my boots on it.... ;D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »
Not a hardhat , for sure !

The other suggestions of the use of this one might be :
fire (sand) bucket , minus the stand ; faux flower pot (also filled with sand) , minus the stand .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »
It's not a dust cap for any axle. The rim just wouldn't allow for that to work. It could be an ashtray, but I think fancypants is onto something with that flower pot idea.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:53 am »
Hmmmmm......liner.. ....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!