Author Topic: Old Statue with Signature  (Read 5259 times)

Choose_username

• View Profile
Old Statue with Signature
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:09 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on this statue. I bought it at a church garage sale back in '92 and to this day I cannot figure out the name of the artist whose name is engraved into it. Wangener..... Wanyer? I have tried looking up many different spellings on the internet and came up with nothing. I have tried almost everything short of getting it looked at by a professional and probably will have to eventually... unless anyone either knows anything about it or may be able to refer me to someone else who does. This I would highly appreciate it.

I included some pics of it including the signature on the side, although the sig is very worn and almost illegible, but I tried to get the best angle I could. Also, I think the statue may be French and possibly from 1800's-19010 period although I am not sure. I am also not sure of the type of metal it is made of and I don't want to clean it. Does anyone have any information on this? below is the link. Thanks in advance!  :)

http://s1336.beta.photobucket.com/user/ChritoffRandle87/library/?sort=2

meeple

• View Profile
Re: Old Statue with Signature
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »
Is there any way of getting a better/close pic of that signature... it looks like theres some glare...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
Will try to help !!  Can you post the pics here !! If you size them about 1500 to 2000kb we can enlarge if necessary !! Some of those sites are not compatable with all computers !!  Like mine !!  Dial up you know !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:36 pm »
Is it signed Warner?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:33 am »
Will try to help !!  Can you post the pics here !! If you size them about 1500 to 2000kb we can enlarge if necessary !! Some of those sites are not compatable with all computers !!  Like mine !!  Dial up you know !!
Dial up....do they still do that....that,s a bit like saying my PC,s operating system is DOS....it must take forever to upload pics etc....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

meeple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:49 am »
i think dialup these days is better than dialup in the old days... they use compression to get better than 56k... and actually i had to work on a dos computer recently... it was a blast from the past... like back in the days of text based computer games...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:29:05 am »
my very first PC had DOS...and the hardrive was a mighty...500mb....a nd i got it at an auction..for £15...but i could,nt make head nor tail of DOS...so i sold it for £25...then never got another.until almost 20 years later...but although windows is an easier operating system...with me its old dog ..new tricks...does.nt work....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:21 am »
What is the height and weight of the figure...can we have a pic of the underside of the base...it looks like its made of Spelter....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelter

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 04:14:26 am »
can you do a pencil rubbing of the signature...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:35:26 am »
Bigwull, if you have MS Windows then you have DOS.

The next time you turn your PC on, ..... watch the monitor, ..... you will see it "flash" there for a cuple seconds.

And iffen you know which keys to hit during said "flash" time ..... it will take you directly to the DOS OS and you can start entering JCL code. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 04:52:56 am »
Cogar...i find operating my PC hard enough as it is..without..going looking for something else...which might confuse me even further...i have old dog new tricks syndrome...its the same with my black/white mobile...i can,t even send a text...without making a pigs arse of it...that,s why i don,t use it...i keep it in the car,charged up, and with enough credit...just in case i have to call 999..in an emergency...

Choose_username

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »
That really is the best pics I could take. It's not the glare as much as it's that the sig is worn, and yes I did try a pencil rubbing but it gave me nothing more than I could tell just by looking at it. The height and weight is about 2 ft and about 4.5-5 lbs. Oh yes, and I searched "Warner" before on the internet but it yielded no results either. I also tried Wagner, Wagener, Wouger, Wangen, Wongen, Wouyer, and just about every other that it could possible be. Also, I think the letter that I thought was a "g" is actually a "y". Looks like I might just need to get it appraised by a pro... Anyone else maybe know what style this statue is? Or maybe where/when it was made?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:56:50 pm »
It is in the Greco-Roman style..judging by the way her hair is done,..is it possible to get a pic of the underside of the base,...but given that it is 2ft high and only weighs around 5lb,..tells me that it is more than likely spelter..which is a .Zinc alloy, often containing lead, used as a substitute for bronze. Spelter was much used in the 19thC for cheap, cast articles such as candlesticks and clock cases. It was popular as an inexpensive medium for art Nouveau applied ornament and art deco figures

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
The pics on that site will not enlarge for me so I cant see the signature !! Hard to help if we can`t see it !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
mart, see if these help any.......

BTW, in the second pic, does it look to you as though there is a 'cross' for one or more 'T's' ???